Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that we are in our own house and have dedicated freezer space, both the dogs are back on raw! Which is awesome, because Levi's poops were not great. And the smell was awwwwwful.

Anyhoo, we discovered that meat in the US is SO much cheaper than in Canada, and we are able to bring back 20 pounds a day, which is awesome. Unfortunately they don't have chicken backs, which I know is the preferred cut to start. We settled on chicken drumsticks, and bone in chicken breasts. They were eating these for a week with great success. It has been such a struggle to get Heidi to eat kibble, and she was eating voraciously. Good poops almost immediately, happy dogs.

Well about three days ago, we added in some chicken thighs, and the **** literally hit the fan. Both dogs now have horrible diarrhea. Yellow-ish and extremely liquidy. We noticed it two days ago, so I cut the thighs and went back to just breasts without any skin. I was hopeful that the breasts would return things to normal, but Heidi woke us up this morning at 4 in the morning by absolutely destroying the guest bedroom. Liquid. Poop. Every where. Thankfully there is currently nothing in the room, but our floors took a hit.

I decided maybe I would just give them rice with a little chicken stock today to hopefully settle their stomachs. Heidi wouldn't eat. For lunch I offered her just some breast meat, and she wouldn't eat that either. :( Other than the lack of appetite and the diarrhea, she is fit as a fiddle, happy to walk, run, play, and do tricks.

Is there anything I can do to help speed their recovery? :( @naturalfeddogs @jagger

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
How long have they been on kibble since feeding raw? And how far did you get with the raw - through all the different proteins? Because both dogs have issue, I would personally suspect the chicken, maybe too high of sodium? If our pup gets a round of diarrhea, it's not unusual for him to turn up his nose at food for a day. Bone should firm them up, usually takes 24 hours for our pup to clear the runny poop out of his system.

When Jagger is off his feed, he normally drops his water intake as well, i'll boil some chicken or beef and give him the stock to drink, he normally takes that and it's important to keep them hydrated through bouts of the runs.

i'm sure Jenny will have better ideas :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Even though I am not naturalfeddogs or jagger, but I recently switched Bri to raw and had a similar issue, but with me it was switching from chicken to turkey, turns out: sodium content far too high (at least that's what it looks like)!
I fasted Bri for around 24-26 hours and then started with giving her around 3/4 of chicken leg quarter of her normal daily ratio and stayed on that for another 5 days. Her diarrhea cleared up in 2-3 days (including the non-feeding time).

Especially chicken thighs around here have a lot of sodium (at the one store the thighs have 300mg per 4oz/100g, but the whole chicken leg quarters onle 75mg per 4oz/100g). My theory (absolutely no research, just thought about it): to make them look better, they inject the meat with saline solution, which would drive the sodium content.

I hope this somehow helps! I also left off the skin of the chicken/turkey for the first 3 1/2 weeks in total. We are now at pork and it's going great. Off to beef next.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Try whole quarters, with skin removed. Also check the sodium level. It shouldn't be higher than 75 mg at the highest. If that helps, then slowly add the skin back on. Also be sure not to feed too much at one feeding, which can contribute to the poop issues.

If you can find backs that's fine, but only feed those one at a time, and on a temporary basis, meaning just for a couple days or so. They are super boney. I haven't ever started with backs because of that. I just keep them around for poop emergencies.

How were poops before you stopped raw for some time? If they were fine then and issues continue now, it could be the new source.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Also check the sodium level. It shouldn't be higher than 75 mg at the highest.
Silly question but If chicken not labelled as sodium injected or other, there is no real way to know is there? I don't recall ever seeing a label in canada showing the nutrient label on a fresh chicken.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I am of no help when it comes to the raw feeding but I wanted to express my pity for your floors. That sounds horrible. Hope the puppies feel better.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I am of no help when it comes to the raw feeding but I wanted to express my pity for your floors. That sounds horrible. Hope the puppies feel better.
When ours gets liquid poop, it's generally through the day when we're not home. He does a crab walk across the carpet, streak from one end to the other.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@jagger - Last time we made it all the way through all proteins + organs last time. They've been on kibble for almost a year now. And you're right, in Canada there is no real information on our packages:

@BrittaS - It's nice to know it happened to someone else. :p It was SO good for that first week. Wah.
@naturalfeddogs - I just bought some quarters from my local grocery store, so I will try that tonight and see how they do. I've been breaking their meal in two, so they get a little less than half in the morning and the remainder in the evening. Their poops were fine before, I think, I can't remember it being bad.
I did a quick check on the us chicken we bought, and it looks like it is 85mg of sodium per 4oz?

Edit: Sorry that is an extreme close-up of my chicken. :p

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, tried giving them chicken quarters without skin last night. Heidi was very excited to eat them (yay!). Levi woke me up at 12:30, 6:30, and then we went out after breakfast and each time diarrhea. The fun thing is when Levi gets diarrhea, his pants get disgusting, so I get to wash him every time. :p
Quarters again this morning for breakfast. Hopefully they'll get back on track soon.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Silly question but If chicken not labelled as sodium injected or other, there is no real way to know is there? I don't recall ever seeing a label in canada showing the nutrient label on a fresh chicken.
If there is no label showing the sodium, then there is no way of knowing how much is in it. Because of that, unless you can find some that actually says it on the package, you may be just as well to go on to turkey.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Okay, tried giving them chicken quarters without skin last night. Heidi was very excited to eat them (yay!). Levi woke me up at 12:30, 6:30, and then we went out after breakfast and each time diarrhea. The fun thing is when Levi gets diarrhea, his pants get disgusting, so I get to wash him every time. :p
Quarters again this morning for breakfast. Hopefully they'll get back on track soon.
How many quarters are you feeding at a time?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Levi gets just over one (12 ounces) and Heidi gets right around one (8oz). Then they get the same in the evening. Levi gets about 1.5 pounds total, and Heidi gets about pound.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: Heidi's poops are almost totally back to normal, they might be a little softer but still firm.
Levi isn't having the awful diarrhea, but his poops aren't great either. I think he is on the upswing though!

Reactions: naturalfeddogs

·
Registered
70 Posts
The thing about diarrhea is if your dog gets it, the treatment is to stop feeding until the diarrhea stops. Your dog won't stop spewing until you stop putting in material to spew. Then after diarrhea stops, then fast for 24 hours to give their systems time to recover.

Then you can break the fast with easily digestible food until poops are back to normal.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The thing about diarrhea is if your dog gets it, the treatment is to stop feeding until the diarrhea stops. Your dog won't stop spewing until you stop putting in material to spew. Then after diarrhea stops, then fast for 24 hours to give their systems time to recover.

Then you can break the fast with easily digestible food until poops are back to normal.
You don't "stop" feeding to cure diarreah. You change what you are feeding, or how much. Runny poops can come from overfeeding, too much organ, or not enough bone. You have to make dietary adjustments. If you just stop feeding, then go back to the same way you were feeding before, you are still going to have the same problem. It's not fixing anything.

No need to fast just because you get runny poops.....

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh I feel bad I totally forgot to update this. Both dogs have wonderful, firm, poops.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
You don't "stop" feeding to cure diarreah.
Ummmmm....where do you come up with your advice? Fasting your dog allows their GI tract to rest and recover from whatever insult it has received.

As long as there are not other symptoms associated with the dog's diarrhea, a fasting period of 12 - 24 hours is standard advice by many vets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts