Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as you might know, Levi's heeling has improved substantially, and walking him has become much more enjoyable. However, he is brutal when we get near another dog. Lunging, trying everything to get to meet the other dog. The result is that we look like bad pet parents, and he looks mean. He doesn't growl or bark, but he is jumping, and since he wears a harness, he's able to stand on his back legs and remain up. This is turn, makes the other dog react (understandably). It's much worse when my fiance walks him (I think I have higher standards for him). In addition to play time and training, he gets an hour walk in the morning, an hour walk at night, obedience class, and dog park 3 or so times a week (usually on the weekend). Since we walk at 6:30 am, we're usually alone out there, but in the evening, dogs are everywhere.

When we are in obedience class, he ignores all the other dogs, I think because he's seen them before. We had someone in our last class doing a make-up session, and Levi was quite interested in this new dog.

I have tried: putting him into a sit or down with a "watch me" until the other dog passes, speeding up to try and minimize the amount of time he sees the other dog, or in cases where he is very unfocused - walking with a treat to his nose (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't).

I will also say that he gets a similar reaction to dogs up ahead of us, but not as severe, instead he just pulls a little bit.

I am open to any and all suggestions. For anyone newer than me, he's a 10 month old, neutered Aussie.

Thanks everyone! :)

Quick Edit: I should also add that in general, I do not allow him to greet other dogs while on leash, because I feel like it gets the dogs too wound up. I could be wrong, but I don't want to cause him to escalate to barrier frustration.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey @SnackRat - I checked out the site, so thank you, it has some super interesting stuff! I guess since Levi is very good with dogs off-leash, he's more in the "frustrated greeter" category.
I was reading about the DRIs they suggest, and those are all things I try, but he is generally hyper-focused on the other dogs. I guess we'll just keep trying, and try to walk where there aren't so many dogs to start. I'm just annoyed he always looks so mean/crazy when he is exactly the opposite!

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Forbes has a lot of the same problem, except he will bark, especially if it is a bull breed. What I have started doing (When we can walk, thanks a lot Florida weather) is bringing a really good treat, something he REALLY likes and doesn't get very often (for us it's cheese sticks). If I see another dog approaching I will take a piece of cheese in my hand and put it in front of his nose, and make sure that his attention is on me. He can look at the other dog, but I want his attention to come right back to me. We continue to walk past the other dog, sometimes receiving bits of the cheese, and as soon as we are past we make a big deal out of it, tons of good boys, and reward. I want him to understand that if he sees another dog, if he instead pays attention to me, he will be rewarded.

If that doesn't work then I am one who, once he is making eye contact and trying to lunge I will quickly change direction. so he learns that he can't predict that we are going to continue walking forward, and should be paying attention to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.