Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Chocolate lab - 1 year old at the end of the month.

When he was 4-5 months old he ran face first into his open kennel door. The edge of the door hit him right around his eye and one pupil dilated. Took him to a vet and everything checked out fine, said he probably had a concussion but didn't see any lasting damage(I worked at the vet at the time.) Since then, no issues.

Today, I noticed that one of his pupils was dilated. He hasn't gotten into anything that I noticed. He didn't hit his head or eye on anything, we were playing tug of war and rolling around on the floor but I am pretty sure I didn't poke him or anything.. I did notice him rub his face afterwards. He's always had dry skin and itchy ears (checked out by the vet before and no issues just allergies...even complimented on how healthy he looked and how clean his ears were) so his rubbing his head isn't normally a big deal. He is sleeping on the sofa and has been rubbing his face in his sleep.

It is 9pm on a Sunday, so unless I want to spend $1000 at an emergency clinic, I can't go to the vet today. I plan on taking him tomorrow if he's still got an issue.


Obviously, I am worried about brain damage. He had a concussion once, but it's been half a year, is it possible for symptoms to show up that much later?

Google (I know..as many crap sources as good ones) said that he could have something in his eye, debri or a scratch, which seems more likely since he has rubbed his face a handful of times.

Basically, I am looking for opinions and a little peace of mind until I can get somewhere. I'm a paranoid mother with good reason - my dog is Marley and Me reincarnated. (I was his fourth owner by 5 weeks old...so he never got the lessons he needed from his mom/litter and he didn't get the benefits of nursing from his mom like he should have.)

Edit: I should add that he loooooooves sticks. He was tossing one around before the rubbing and dilation...maybe it poked him in the eye? We had just been out for a long walk too (live in an apartment) and we'd been rolling around in the grass. He brought the stick back inside with him. Also, if he has to pee really bad he tends to run face first into the bushes so he doesn't pee on the sidewalk but doesn't have to wait til we get to the grass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He hasn't been acting weird otherwise. Happy, playful, good appetite, normal urine/stool, no other issues with his face (no drooping or redness or swelling or anything.) His pupils/eyes respond to light and movement. The pupil has gradually starting looking more normal. The eye isn't oozing. I have eye drops for him from a previous visit that I will probably try to use just in case it is just some dirt or something.

I recently lost my job so an emergency visit would be...difficult. It is hard because it could be such a large range of reasons.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top