Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was just wondering if a dog can experience separation anxiety from one person? I work nights 3 times a week and my fiance is always home when I'm working. But when I leave Ekko gets frantic. She barks, she tries to get out of her pen, she has a lot of accidents. My fiance says if she manages to get out of her pen she runs around the house trying to find me.

Is she have separation anxiety? If so, how do I fix this? I make sure I am neutral when I leave and when I get home. My fiance tries to distract het when she gets like this, but he said she is difficult to redirect (unless he has food).

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It sounds like it could be separation anxiety. I would suggest practicing getting ready to leave and leaving without actually leaving throughout the day. Showing that its no big deal and your not always going to leave. Giving her a very special treat like a frozen or room temp kong filled with goodies only when you leave can help too. It gives her something to occupy her for a bit and reinforces that you leaving is a good thing. It also might help if you re-crate (im assuming by pen you mean a dog crate?) train her in the sense of making it even more of a awesome rewarding place to be.
Out of curiosity how does she react if she's out of the house and when she comes back in and your gone? Tiring her out before you leave can also help as it can help alleviate all that extra energy she has to be worrying. Just a thought but if when you leave, the three of you leave at the same time and your fiancé could take her for a nice walk if possible.

Here's the dog forum sticky for separation anxiety that might be helpful to read through. http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/separation-anxiety-29576/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Yes I meant crate. She's never come into the house after I've left, so I'm not sure how'd she react. I will try what you mentioned :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hello, I was just wondering if a dog can experience separation anxiety from one person? I work nights 3 times a week and my fiance is always home when I'm working. But when I leave Ekko gets frantic. She barks, she tries to get out of her pen, she has a lot of accidents. My fiance says if she manages to get out of her pen she runs around the house trying to find me.
Definitely this can happen. Our dogs love my husband; when he comes home they both rush the door, standing on their back legs giving him 'jazz hands' and snorting in excitement. Fin snuggles with him on the couch all evening, and will nose him for pets. Javva stares at him with 'love eyes' and will run to the bathroom door when DH goes in.

But, if I go out, OMG! On Sunday I went out for several hours, and a few minutes after I left, Jav went to the front door and cried. DH tried to distract him, but he couldn't be consoled and kept going back to the door. DH finally went an sat at the door offering him treats and his Kong. After 30 minutes he gave up and cuddled on the couch (but refused any treats!).

They went for a walk, sometimes they are stubborn when I'm not with them, but this time they were eager - DH was happy! When they got outside, he said they were sniffing, and knowing the route I'd taken he could tell they were taking it too, he said they were 'tracking' me. After the walk when they were heading inside, they refused to go in (as opposed to when I'm home and he takes them out, and they're frantic to get back in to me). He had to carry them both, I feel sooo bad for him.

So yes, definitely they can have separation anxiety with one person. In our case they're used to me being at home, and since getting our second one I've rarely gone out without them for more than a few minutes, so totally my fault, I've got some work to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts