Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We kind of self rescued our now 5month old puppy couple months ago from this family who couldnt keep her and she was pound bound.. I was actually looking for free dog items (clothes or other nifty knick knacks etc) for our dog Hero on craigslist. Anyways we took her in but these last couple months are pretty challenging. Our first dog is a year old rescue and hes the most chill, pretty obedient dog even when he was a puppy her age.. She on the other hand is super high energy and nips the kids alot (she wont nip me and my husband and i scold her constantly when one of the kids starts crying). Were working with her. On the other hand hero is free fed but he got injured awhile ago and has had less of an appetite where as she can inhale both their bowls in 10 seconds. Shes lucky hero doesnt food guard. So i feed them seperately. I usually block her out but she now hops over the baby gate and will eat heros food. Usually we can put her outside while he eats but i feel like there has to be something else we can do instead of outcasting her at meals. We bought her a slow feed bowl but i found shes smart and tips it over when ive checked to see how shes doing. Any suggestions? Shes scheduled for spay 1st week of February. Would that help the high energy and over eating? Also they have two dog houses outside and she has this weird habit of waking hero up by going into his house in the middle of night. He really doesnt like it and he'll bark at her and they do this back forth dog house switch where Hero goes into the other dog house and she'll follow into which ever one hes in until he gets pissed... Please tips?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
The only thing that will really help her energy level is exercise and mental stimulation. Have you considered a puppy class?

As for feeding, some dogs are just food hounds and some just aren't. I've got one of each, haha. I'd say 90% of the time I opt for separation as it is easier. However, we've been incorporating mat work into some meals - when my other two are eating, I have my fast and pushy eater eat in his mat. I have an electronic treat and train and he gets kibble through that as long as he lies on his mat. If he gets up to steal food from the other dogs, I pick their bowls up and wait until he lies down on the mat again before I press the button to release more kibble. He's caught on pretty fast!

Another thing you can do is feed your puppy in a separate room but put her food in a treat puzzle, like a Kong Wobbler. It'll take her longer to eat (and exercise her brain!) which will hopefully give your other dog time to eat as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts