Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we got 2 kittens at the same time, Capone (female) and Chavo (male). I think we got them around late summer/early fall of 2009. Unfortunately we had to put Chavo down just after Christmas 2009 because he had FIP. Capone was very social at the rescue center and loved her friend Chavo. We got her a new friend, Barley (male) a couple of weeks after Chavo died. She didn't like Barley at first but soon warmed up to him.

These two cats were in love, they were inseparable. If you saw one, the other was nearby. They played together, slept together, bathed each other, it was perfect.

We started letting them outside (indoor/outdoor cats) Spring 2011. Capone took to the outdoors as if it were her second home. It's not abnormal for her to stay gone 3-4 days at a time. Barley likes it too, but only in short periods by himself or for a few hours if it's a nice day and we're outside with him. Otherwise he'd rather be inside.

After a few months of this, Capone now hates Barley. She doesn't want anything to do with him. She'll let him cuddle with her if he chooses, but she doesn't seek him out anymore. She also absolutely refuses to play with him and will hiss, growl, spat, and run away.

It's not a big deal. Both of them are just as loving with us as they've ever been towards us, and seem to be quite healthy. Capone will still let Barley cuddle with her, they'll even still bathe each other on occasion, but she never seeks it out, he does. Barley is more laid back and found a friend in the dog, which is something Capone would never do. We're not worried about it, I'm just curious as to why she's suddenly acting like this. If anything, I'd think it'd be the other way around. That Barley would smell where Capone has been and would want to stay away, hiss/growl, etc. Any thoughts?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.