Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am the owner of 3 walker coonhounds 2 are a year and 8 months the other is around a year old..
now two of them are brothers out of the same litter and the other is my little boys son..
i raised rebel from a fat 3 month old pup and to be honest, he showed aggression right away as small as he was
and no matter what measures i took he would just basicly growl and tell me to bring it...
i have always thought he has had a screw loose in his brain...he is weird as hell, but i thought that maybe time would help things.
i found out tonight i was very very wrong...his brother and his son are both way bigger than him...very sweet very lovable
but him..he changes like the weather..he might be fine for 10 minutes and then he gets pissed off for abslutly no reason at all.
and wants to fight me..i have never ever abused my dog..i used to switch him early in his life but the switch was dinky and even with full force its impossible that it could have ever hurt him..but he would turn and take it away from me and snarl at me like he was saying 'if you try that again ill kill you" and this started at 5 months.
tonight he really hurt me badly ..oif he would have got me by the face he would have killed me...all i did was get him by his collar to move him off the couch and he snapped
and absolutly ripped me up..im not sure i wont need stitches..i have loved him from the time he was born and he has always slept with me..ate with me and pretty much always been by my side..but now im afraid of him, and my friends told me its better to put him down than to take a chance on him possibly killing you..but i love him so much i just dont have it in me..there would be times i would hug him close and tell him how much i love him and i will cry like a baby...so i dont know what to do..i cant afford a hefty vet bill..i cant afford any dog training classes ...if anyone wants to reach out id be appreciative..my hand and my right elbow hurts badly...i know he has possesion aggression but i never dreamed that since i raised him in my house he would have ever done something like this....please help :cry::cry::cry:

·
Administrator
877 Posts
i am the owner of 3 walker coonhounds 2 are a year and 8 months the other is around a year old..
now two of them are brothers out of the same litter and the other is my little boys son..
i raised rebel from a fat 3 month old pup and to be honest, he showed aggression right away as small as he was
and no matter what measures i took he would just basicly growl and tell me to bring it...
i have always thought he has had a screw loose in his brain...he is weird as hell, but i thought that maybe time would help things.
i found out tonight i was very very wrong...his brother and his son are both way bigger than him...very sweet very lovable
but him..he changes like the weather..he might be fine for 10 minutes and then he gets pissed off for abslutly no reason at all.
and wants to fight me..i have never ever abused my dog..i used to switch him early in his life but the switch was dinky and even with full force its impossible that it could have ever hurt him..but he would turn and take it away from me and snarl at me like he was saying 'if you try that again ill kill you" and this started at 5 months.
tonight he really hurt me badly ..oif he would have got me by the face he would have killed me...all i did was get him by his collar to move him off the couch and he snapped
and absolutly ripped me up..im not sure i wont need stitches..i have loved him from the time he was born and he has always slept with me..ate with me and pretty much always been by my side..but now im afraid of him, and my friends told me its better to put him down than to take a chance on him possibly killing you..but i love him so much i just dont have it in me..there would be times i would hug him close and tell him how much i love him and i will cry like a baby...so i dont know what to do..i cant afford a hefty vet bill..i cant afford any dog training classes ...if anyone wants to reach out id be appreciative..my hand and my right elbow hurts badly...i know he has possesion aggression but i never dreamed that since i raised him in my house he would have ever done something like this....please help :cry::cry::cry:
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Sorry it's under the circumstances.

Unfortunately, this is a very serious issue - especially if you need stitches, and you really do need the help of a qualified, reputable behaviourist - and if he changes "like the weather", he does need a vet check, as it could be there's a psychological issue.

First of all, you need to get your arm checked out. That's your main concern right now.

I'm not sure what you mean by you "switching him"? Did you use an e-collar on him? Because if you did, and from a puppy, that will be the primary reason this has happened.

It sounds like your dog has absolutely no trust in you, and with good reason, if I'm right you've used a shock collar since he was a puppy. I was watching this the other day:

Going forward, there's a few things you need to know.

1) Once a dog bites, it's likely to bite again, and with less provocation. And next time, it could well be your face.

2) You absolutely cannot rehome this dog. To anyone. Your options are, keep him, or euthanise him.

3) You need to rebuild trust - both his in you, and yours in him. No more aversive methods. At all. Ever. No more shock or prong collars, no spraying water on him, no shaking coins in bottles -, no physically removing him from the bed/the couch, bed.

You'll need to be completely hands off. No hugging him (few dogs actually like being held at the best of times, but their " I don't like this" signals can be very subtle - a lip lick, turning their head away, raising a paw subtle - see link below), no stroking him, no grabbing him by the collar - nothing!

When you need to get him off the bed/couch, call him to you, praise and treat him for getting off the couch without force.

When he growled at you from 5 months, yeah, he was telling you "If you do that again, I'll kill you.. Shame you didn't come here then as all of this could have been prevented.
Waggy Tails Ladder of Aggression

Unfortunately though, without a vet check and a qualified, reputable behaviourist (one which is fully aware of the latest science-backed methods of behavioural modifications, and uses force free methods - any hint of a shock collar, prong collar, other aversives, or dominance theory, pack leadership crap, run a mile), then your options are dire. :(

It would be highly irresponsible of us to advise otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
As above.

I wondered if a switch is another word for a stick? The advice above still applies though.

And - if I read correctly, this dog is the father of one of the other dogs? Never, ever breed from a dog with a poor temperament. Behavioral traits are very much inheritable.

·
Administrator
877 Posts
As above.

I wondered if a switch is another word for a stick? The advice above still applies though.

And - if I read correctly, this dog is the father of one of the other dogs? Never, ever breed from a dog with a poor temperament. Behavioral traits are very much inheritable.
Yes, I thought that too, plus if this dog is about a year old, that would make him... Very young to be the father of the other dogs? 4-5 months?

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As above.

that could not be helped, it was one of those things where neither one of us realized she was in heat while we were hunting that night, and yes he did breed earlier than normal for a male dog even the owner of the bitch made that comment..but his mother and father are world class dogs with great temperment..niether one of those dogs has ever on the last 5 years ever acted out..and i dont appreciate the comment that switch is a term for stick...dont you people ever accuse me of any wrong doing ..now if you want to give advice thats fine but dont go making accusations where there are none to be made..and FYI other brothers of his same litter have the exact same disposition as he does..all except for one of his brothers which i also own..and his son which is a big baby who minds as well as any dog i have owned except for this dogs brother

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
dont go making accusations
It isn't an accusation, it's simple maths and biology.

And, for future reference or for other readers, accidental matings happen of course but there is no need whatsoever for accidental litters to be born. There is a simple injection that prevents the pregnancy from becoming established, a bit like the morning after pill for people.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and i dont know..but ,maybe i should add that the bigger his testicals got, the more tempermental he got..he is always humping my arm..my leg and growling when he does it..i have thought now for a long time he might have a screw loose.. from everything i have researched he meets the very definition of bi-polar...maybe a wrong wire crossed,,,shorted out in his mind....because even as a baby when he would tuck his itty bitty face up underneath my chin at night, if i so much as twitched and disturbed him.....he would raise hell with me...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
surely some of you can understand raising a pup and it becomes your child....i wonder if a vet can check the brain like we do for say alziemers?
my boys are my life...when his brother and me were hunting, we ran into a bear and it could have gotten very very bad but i put myself in harms way to keep that dog safe
and i was literally ready to fight that bear myself..i did get in between them and told the bear to screw off in a extremly loud voice...so yeah my boys are my life..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and i dont know..but ,maybe i should add that the bigger his testicals got, the more tempermental he got..he is always humping my arm..my leg and growling when he does it..i have thought now for a long time he might have a screw loose.. from everything i have researched he meets the very definition of bi-polar...maybe a wrong wire crossed,,,shorted out in his mind....because even as a baby when he would tuck his itty bitty face up underneath my chin at night, if i so much as twitched and disturbed him.....he would raise hell with me...
if he does have a screw loose..he cant be blamed..no more than a child with schizoprenia can be blamed...

·
Administrator
877 Posts
that could not be helped, it was one of those things where neither one of us realized she was in heat while we were hunting that night, and yes he did breed earlier than normal for a male dog even the owner of the bitch made that comment..but his mother and father are world class dogs with great temperment..niether one of those dogs has ever on the last 5 years ever acted out..and i dont appreciate the comment that switch is a term for stick...dont you people ever accuse me of any wrong doing ..now if you want to give advice thats fine but dont go making accusations where there are none to be made..and FYI other brothers of his same litter have the exact same disposition as he does..all except for one of his brothers which i also own..and his son which is a big baby who minds as well as any dog i have owned except for this dogs brother
The mating was accidental, but the owner of the bitch could gave prevented the pregnancy, either by having her dog spayed (ideal as that is in the bitch's best interest in general), or by taking her to the vet for the mismate jab.

However, what's done is done.

Even more reason to have him neutered.

surely some of you can understand raising a pup and it becomes your child....i wonder if a vet can check the brain like we do for say alziemers?
my boys are my life...when his brother and me were hunting, we ran into a bear and it could have gotten very very bad but i put myself in harms way to keep that dog safe
and i was literally ready to fight that bear myself..i did get in between them and told the bear to screw off in a extremly loud voice...so yeah my boys are my life..
We understand completely. We know owners love their dogs. We know you love yours. Like you, my girls are my life. We get it. We wouldn't be here if we didn't.

if he does have a screw loose..he cant be blamed..no more than a child with schizoprenia can be blamed...
No one is blaming him.

It sounds like you feel cornered. We're trying to help you, but to do that, we need you to meet us halfway. Did you see my post? Post 2?

Can you clarify what you meant by "switching him"?

·
Registered
506 Posts

"Can you clarify what you meant by "switching him"? " ^^^^^

X2!

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
I'd also like to ask why - not to be judgemental, but because we can almost certainly suggest alternative and kinder ways of stopping the behaviour you were punishing him for. Because it is highly possible he is very confused - you go from loving him to switching him (whatever that is) which makes you unpredictable. And to a dog, unpredictable is a bit scary.

Alongside that, I'd guess there may have been warning signals that you missed, long before the bite.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I know that no one here was trying to accuse you of anything, or to blame the dog.

You said, ".i used to switch him early in his life but the switch was dinky and even with full force its impossible that it could have ever hurt him "

When I read "switching" I thought of the fact that "switch" is an old term for a lightweight branch off a tree, used to punish children a long time ago, and apparently I am not the only one who pictured that. We are not trying to turn your words into something else, just trying to understand. If that is not what "switching" means for you, if you did not use a lightweight branch or whip of some kind like that, it would be very helpful for you to clarify what you mean by that term and what you did use.

I am so sorry that you have this situation, and we all understand how hard this is for you. It is possible that your dog has a "screw loose", as you say, meaning something crossed wrong in his brain, since he started displaying this behavior so early in life. That happens sometimes; it's rare, but it does happen.

the thing is, dogs who are born with that kind of mental disorder can only be managed effectively if they have training and control from someone knowledgeable in how to go about it, and few people are able to do that. It is not your fault you didn't know all the right things to do. It takes a dog behaviorist to know all the things to do in a case like this. I have trained dogs for decades, and have a fair bit of skill at it and help people with behavior issues with their dogs, but I do not have the right training and skill to help a dog like this one.

If you cannot afford a behaviorist, I understand. But if you don't get the help of a professional you will leave yourself with only two possibilities or options. 1) try to retrain him on your own, which will be difficult and possibly dangerous, or 2) euthanize the dog.

I can understand how impossible #2 sounds. So you can try to train him yourself, and we will do what we can to help, but you need to be willing to listen to what we say with an open mind and not be defensive.
No one is attacking you, but in order to help we need to understand the situation, meaning you will have to clarify things for us, and we may say things you don't want to hear. Even so, our bottom line is to try to help you so you don't get killed or severely injured by your dog or have to euthanize him. Can you do this?

First, though....get your arm seen to by a doc, and get your dog in to the vet to be tested for abnormalities in him brain so that you have that information.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The mating was accidental, but the owner of the bitch could gave prevented the pregnancy, either by having her dog spayed (ideal as that is in the bitch's best interest in general), or by taking her to the vet for the mismate jab.

We understand completely. We know owners love their dogs. We know you love yours. Like you, my girls are my life. We get it. We wouldn't be here if we didn't.

No one is blaming him.

It sounds like you feel cornered. We're trying to help you, but to do that, we need you to meet us halfway. Did you see my post? Post 2?

a switch. a small switch like as big around and as light as a straw..and i only done it when he would jump up and grab my arm and

No one is blaming him.

a little tiny switch...weighed as much as a straw...so dinky it couldnt have done anything ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im wondering as well if his testicles could have anything to do with it...he humps my arm and legs and growls while doing it...is that normal behaviour?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
plus when its nighttime and they are off hunting ..you cant run after hounds like that..they cover too much ground too quickly..not making exscuses just being honest.
i think i will have him neutured and a brain scan done...this morning he acted like nothing ever happened..good mood..seems happy to me..no growling..no sideways looks..although i decided today to just leave him alone and just feed...water and give him all the space he wants away from me and see how his mood is tonight

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
OK, so if your dog was jumping up and you used a switch on him (which again, I'm assuming to be a light stick) I strongly suspect you have made him wary of you. You have some trust to rebuild if you are going to keep this dog because you are swapping between being loving human and scary human who hits him when he is jumping up (possibly trying to play?)

The humping behaviour also indicates anxiety.

First, you need to be a lot more predictable for him. Does he know a good 'sit'? Because he can't sit AND jump or hump at the same time. Dogs struggle with ”don't do” something - as do we; if I asked you to not think of an elephant, what's the first thing you think of? So instead of asking him to not jump, or not hump, ask him to sit instead. Now the key is that the sit has to be a better choice for him so make sure he is always really well rewarded for it - make it rain sausage or cheese.

Second, you need to learn to read his body language. Dogs give a series of signals that they are unhappy, but unfortunately most people don't recognise them because they can be quite subtle. To begin with there is often wide eyes, lip licking and yawning. There is also muscular tension in the body. Then the ones we sometimes do see - growl, snarl, nip then bite. If the early signals are not seen (or, in the dog's view, ignored) he won't bother with them because us stupid humans pay no attention anyway; so he may go straight to the bite. So it's important never to ignore the early signals or reprimand the dog for giving them; stopping the dog from giving them would be like taking the battery out of a smoke alarm.

Third, you need to make sure he never sires another litter. Ever. Dogs with unpredictable temperaments should not be bred.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well when i give a bone bone to him as i call it..he shows the white of his eyes kinda like how a mule will look back at you before they kick or bite...i chalk that up to possesion aggression he is the same with his food ..not everyone has the means to afford a behavior specialist...he has all his needed shots..but if you think your putting a muzzle on him..you dont know how wrong youd be...it would not turn out well unless he was sedated first and even then im not sure he can be sedated....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.