Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to document Ollie's progress. Right now he's super shy outside of the family, and even with my dad, and I want to see how he changes. Hopefully, you guys will be seeing some pictures of him with ribbons and being a wonderfully adjusted (if not tolerant of stimulation) dog. :thumbsup:

The Starting Point...

We adopted Oliver (thinking of making his official name 'Singsong This is Halloween') in July 23, 2013 when our family friends could no longer keep him. In May of 2013, they found the poor dear on the street in their small, country town and brought him home.

However, my dad didn't realize that to bring the dog into the house from the barn, he needed a leash, Oliver ran off. After a four hour hiking trip, we couldn't find him. The next day, we discovered he was hiding under our porch. It took us two and a half days to get him inside, and only because we left the door open and he came in with our Jozee.

Over the next few weeks, we did this little dance of having a hard time getting him inside. Then, he decided I am the best thing since sliced bread, and decided to shadow me everywhere I went. Still petrified of men, it took the poor dear about six months to let my dad touch him, and it's still a work in progress to this day.

Two things we've been able to correct is how he took his treats (he nearly bit my fingers off a few times while training!) and not to mouth us. He still likes to mouth or tug at skirts or felt pants with patterns (Oliver: "Mommy, those puppies are eating your feetsies!!" Me: "No, Oliver, no they're not..." -_-'), but he's much, much better.

He's an athletic, lanky dog (we think a greyhound-hound-something mix) that can jump 5 feet easily and take off in a hurry. Ollie is also a cuddly, love-bug and love to play tug and chase. Sweet as can be, he still has a long way to go socialization wise and training wise, but I believe he can do it!

What we're working on today...
  • Socialization
  • Sit-stay (moving away from him)
  • Sit-stay (moving around him)
  • Down-stay (moving away from him)
  • Down-stay (moving around him)
  • Come

Reactions: Grabby and Kwenami

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
June 22, 2014

Today, we tried to take Jozee and Oliver on a walk. Keyword: tried. Ideally, I wanted it to be somewhere that some people would be, but not too many, and mostly quiet space -so our county fair grounds. Today's objective was to get Oliver more relaxed around strangers, using Jozee. However, we never made it out of the driveway.

Jozee somehow wriggled his way out of a Canine Friendly Harnessvest thing we have for him. Oliver has a normal, target nylon harness that holds him just fine. When my brother was trying to pull Jozee to the car, he jumped and somehow slipped out and escaped!

Thankfully, Jozee was only gone for a half an hour, but goodness, it's very worrisome when he does this to us. Thankfully, he's part akita (or so we think) so he has a strong territorial instinct and always comes home after a while. Still, very scary since we have neighbors that have guns and he blends in perfectly to the underbrush.

On the bright side, while waiting (and baiting) for Jozee to come home, I got to walk around with Oliver and worked on his obedience skills! He was able to walk very nicely with me outside with minimal tugging and was paying more attention to me. He was also able to sit-stay while I walked around the front of him, and down-stay while I walked around him, stood several steps in front of him, and turned my back on him! (I think it's because he was hot and tired more so than anything else. xD ).

Hopefully tomorrow we'll be able to go somewhere with both dogs and no incidents. We shall see!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6/23-24/14

June 23 and 24, 2014

So, we haven't done too much with him. I've done a couple of exercises throughout the house, working on recall, all the fun basics. Unfortunately, my summer classes made me sleep in this morning, so we couldn't go into his obedience class. I feel bad because this is two weeks in a row now I studied too late.

Today, he's been himself; happy, snuggly, and cute. I can't say too much otherwise, since I work most of the evening and nigh, but we did a few exercises this morning and he was as calm and cuddly indoors as always.

Kinda a boring update, but an update none-the-less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts