Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow, my family has been feeding our dogs Ole Roy from our local
Walmart for like...ever! I never heard once of it being bad in anyway. :confused:

What is so bad about it I wonder....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was told by my vet, that it was bad. After my dog was having allergic reactions to it. Her lips, gums, anas, even between her toes were bright pinkish red. And she was really fatigue. She just layed around, uncomman for a wolf hybrid!
We now feed out dogs beneful. Its still cheap like 20+.

BUT If you buy in bulk form back to basics dog food, its like the best kind out there and it would save you tons of money! Most of the breeders order from there. Im going to since my rottie is going through the food like its well we have to buy 150 lbs a month!
Ill try and find the web site they also have cat food.

·
Registered
92 Posts
yes it is quite bad for your dog.

Here are the ingredients and below I'm going to tear through the ingredients:
Ground yellow corn, soybean meal, ground whole wheat, corn syrup, poultry fat, Meat and bone meal (Animal Fat Preserved with BHA and Citric Acid), Chicken by-product Meal, Rice, Animal Digest, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin D and E Supplement, Niacin, Copper Sulafate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Meadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex Source of Vitamin K, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid

Ground yellow corn: First thing on the list...meaning 50% if not more of the dog food is CORN. Corn is a grain...and I highly doubt they use human grade quality grain. If it isn't human grade quality, it CAN be old, moldy corn that is no longer fit for humans.

Soybean meal: Soy is another grain...defiantely not something you want in a dog food. Since dogs are carnivores mainly, and soy is a meat alternative, it's not the best choice.

Ground Whole Wheat: Another grain...so far the first three ingrediants are grains. Grains are the LEADING cause of allergies in dogs. And Wheat is the MAIN grain that causes allergies

Poultry Fat: What type of poultry? No this is NOT mean chicken. It COULD be chicken, but doesn't have to be. It means "bird".....crow, hawk, rooster, blue jay, whatever. Sadly, yes I am not lying

Meat and bone meal: Ummm...MYSTERTY MEAT! When it does not list what type of meat it can mean ANYTHING. It could be beef, chicken, venison, duck, pork, bear, rabbit, ANY type of mammal....and no it doesn't mean freshly killed animals either. They could be dead for a while

Chicken by-product meal: This is every part of the chicken NOT intended for consumption. Beak, claws, feet, wings, feathers, etc. This is something you NEVER want to see in a dog food. (along with the above ingrediants)

Rice: Not a bad ingrediant as long as it's good quality. It IS a grain, but not one that dogs are normally allergic to.

Animal Digest: What type of animal? Again....mystery meat (see Meat and Bone Meal)

Then the rest are vitamins and minerals.

So, in a nut shell...Ol' Roy has EVERY type of grain there is, by-products, unknown meat, and Soy.

It's definately one of the cheapest Dog Food brands...only about $1 per pound...but "normally" in dog food, you pay for what you get....but really today it's not true. I've seen $38 Nutro Bags (40 pounds) and I can get a 35 pound bag of better quality dog foor for $32-35.

Some good dog foods are:
  • chicken soup for the dogs soul
  • nature's variety
  • Canidea
  • solid gold
  • timberwolf
  • wellness
  • orijen
  • country naturals (made in NY)
Those are GREAT dog foods...all are human grade indregiants and no questionable indregiants.
There are no artifical perservatices...so it only lasts 4-6 weeks once opened (unless you keep HALF of it...or more...in an air tight container and NOT open it.........or freeze it).
So if you have a small 8 pound dog, you'll need to get the 5 pound bag or else he won't be getting all the right nutrience.

Also another nice thing about the above, is that there will be less stool when compaired to Ol' Roy

Hope that clears up some stuff....any questions, feel free to private message me

(Also, sorry it's long...I warned you all...and Mike...that I was a dog food freak)

·
Registered
92 Posts
(sorry Mike for the double post)
BtB is a fairly decent qualty food, but not the best.

Dog Foods:
Low Qualities:
  • Science Diet
  • Eukanuba (spelled wrong)
  • Iams
  • Sensible Choice
  • Royal Canin
  • Fromm
  • Back to Basics (this is close to being medium quality)
Medium Quality
  • By Nature
  • Nutro
  • Pro-Pac
  • Eagle Pack
  • Diamond
High Quality
  • Innova
  • Nature's Variety
  • Canidae
  • Timberwolf
  • Solid Gold
  • Wellness
  • Merrick
  • Chicken Soup for the Dogs Soul
  • Orijen
  • Country Naturals
Read the ingredients...see what's in the dog food....ask questions and learn what each ingredient means and if it's good or bad.

·
Registered
92 Posts
yeah, thanks forgot that one. I was going through all the dog foods that the pet store that I work at carries...and we normally keep all the high quality foods together.....but we had to move Taste of the Wild to make room for the new Wellness (Large Breed Adult and Puppy...then small breed adult and puppy) so we had to move then elsewhere)...so I always forget them :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey Sonny, do you know anything about Blue Buffalo? Our TSC store carries it which is closer than the store I get the TOTW from. I was thinking of switching if it's as good (or better) than the TOTW.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey Sonny, do you know anything about Blue Buffalo? Our TSC store carries it which is closer than the store I get the TOTW from. I was thinking of switching if it's as good (or better) than the TOTW.
TOTW is grain-free isn't it? It would be a big step from TOTW to Blue. Ingredient wise they are fairly similiar, but I don't know the quality of the ingredients. It is the PetSmart (or is it PetCo) brand, and no offense to fans of their store, I find that they know little on pet food health. But that's just my view of it.
I was just looking at TSCs website...the highest quality food they carry would be Nutro...I was hoping they had Nutro Ultra because that's a fairly decent one, but they didn't.

I'd say you would probably be okay, ingredient wise as long as your dog isn't allregic to grain. But I'd definately invest in the Eagle Pack Transitions because it can be a big step going from a good without grain to one with grain

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh poo, I was thinking Blue was grain free, too. :dog-frown: I guess I'll stick to TOTW. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
ol roy being bad makes alot of sense to me. my dog is a 9 month old husky shephard, and i bought him ol roy and he has only been eating it for a week, and has very bad stool. sometimes diahrea too. i couldnt understand what was wrong, but this makes perfect sense. his old owner did give me the food he was feeding him before, it was the chicken soup for the soul, but it was open and unsealed so it was mouldy. also what about canned food? is it good to mix wet and dry? or just dry? or just wet? right now i am mixing the ol roy with a half can of lean cuts. any suggestions?

·
Registered
92 Posts
personally I'm not a huge fan of wet food....in my opinion it causes alot of plaque build up. If you're mixing it would be alright.

But yeah...the problem with your dog might be the food. CHicken Soup is defiantely a WAY better dog food than Ole Roy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow Sonnywimps, Thanks for laying out the qualities in the different name brands. I have always wondered how some of those labels fit in and where. You sure know your dog food!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Form what I remember when I looked at The Dog Whisperer food it is co-packed by Castor and Pollux. You will notice on your bag that their little symbol is on it. The DW food reads very simialer to the organic C&P but has soy instead of peas. I think that for Organic you are getting a nice organic food at a price that is not out of site. There are different organics on the market, but some have palletatbiltiy issues and some are mostly soy and have a huge price tag and short shelf life. IMO, if I was looking for orgainc, this would be one I'd chose or I'd got with Natural Balance's Organic. But I like Natural Balance and know how it will perform.
Please keep us updated on how your dogs are doing on this food.

·
Registered
25 Posts
dog food

I have not started them on it yet I have other food they have to eat first. But I will let you know. I got scared because I hear some of these dog foods have dead cat and dogs used as protien and other stuff like beef and chicken and pork. That it is meat that should not be used. It made me sick.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Beef, chicken and pork are viable meat sources for dogs and cats, as is duck, venison, bison, white fish, and salmon which are the most common. The "vet pets", road kill and 4D rejected meats are in the very low low end foods and I completely agree that they should not be in pet foods. Your organic is (and should be) ok.
The reason you are paying so much for organic is that organically grown foods are expencive to produce. For example, let's take organic soy. This means to start off organic, the land that the soy is grown on has to be ceritified free of pesticides, hericides and other chemicals . Ususally the FDA requires that the field in question is fallow for 4 years. Once the land passes inspection, then the soy must start out organic. Once again a certification process. Once that gets growing, the soy cannot have any chemicals, pesticides, herbacides used to prevent bugs and such. Now, the FDA does not process the ceritifaction to be considered organic. They make the rules but there are a few organizations that do the actual testing and certify the produce or product is organic. One is called The Oregon Tilth.
Now, to be organic 72% of the product, in this case dog food, must be of organic ingredients. To get that little white and green certified USDA organic seal, the product must be 95%or more organic. Just think to get organic chicken meat, the chickens can't have any medications, hormones, etc and they must be fed an organic feed. Cha-ching.
Ok sorry, that was probably way to much info then you needed!!:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another good food that has come into the market that has done my dogs wonders and many other dogs also, Natural Balance. It's a little on the pricer side but really its not as bad as I have seen with some. All the vets at my office use it with their dogs and many of our clients have switched to it and seen a great change in their dogs.

Try it. If you are going to be willing to pay good money for food might as well get a food that is going to help your dog.

Canned food is best given in small amount if at all. Cats really should be getting canned food at all meals but that is another topic, if you really want to know why or have something to say about it PM me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts