Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rescued an underweight Shitzuh (sp) who is extremely picky EXCEPT for Full Moon Chicken Strips. No interest in hot dogs, general dry dog food, most other treats.
He is 11(+) years old - been to the vet - had teeth cleaned, blood work done, everything checks out OK, he turns up his nose at most everything (maybe not scraps of scrapple). Have a low fat prescription food for my other dog (Yorkie-mix) - Shitzuh won't eat it. Sometime he will eat mini milk bone treats.
He should be about 10# - 11# but is about 8#.
Tried looking up a dog food similar to the FULL MOON Chicken Strips but could not find anything - maybe I didin't look hard or long enough.
Any suggestions/recommendations???

·
Registered
197 Posts
For how long have you had the dog? Moving to a new home is a big change, especially for an older dog. He might just refuse to eat because of stress. What did he eat before comming to you? Normally I would recommend to wait out the dog, a healthy dog won’t starve itself. Give a meal and if the dog won’t eat it within 15-20 minutes take it away and then offer food at next meal time. However, when It’s an old, already underweight dog I would recommend finding anything that the dog will eat. What have you tried? Canned dog food and raw food often works better on picky dogs. I also know that some people use blood powder do make picky dogs eat.

I’ve had a few picky eaters and when I really need them to eat (can’t use the first method) I use to sit with them and give them some kibbles from my hand, then starting putting them on the floor, in their bowl and so on. Has worked on many dogs. However don’t make your dog used to being fed like that, it’s only to encourage them to start eating by themselves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For how long have you had the dog? Moving to a new home is a big change, especially for an older dog. He might just refuse to eat because of stress. What did he eat before comming to you? Normally I would recommend to wait out the dog, a healthy dog won’t starve itself. Give a meal and if the dog won’t eat it within 15-20 minutes take it away and then offer food at next meal time. However, when It’s an old, already underweight dog I would recommend finding anything that the dog will eat. What have you tried? Canned dog food and raw food often works better on picky dogs. I also know that some people use blood powder do make picky dogs eat.

I’ve had a few picky eaters and when I really need them to eat (can’t use the first method) I use to sit with them and give them some kibbles from my hand, then starting putting them on the floor, in their bowl and so on. Has worked on many dogs. However don’t make your dog used to being fed like that, it’s only to encourage them to start eating by themselves.
Thanks so much for your detailed reply. He is old, and has been in the same house for all of his life - except for when the owner's boy fried decided it was too much for him. He was underweight when we got him - Vet says that may just be his metabolism - but we feel he should not be so thin.
Precious owner gave us his treats and basic food, which he shy's away from. He goes nuts about chicken treats, and that's about it. Vet gave us some appetite stimulant, which works, but when it wears off, he just wants treats and little more. Our other dog (Yorkie) appears to be a competitor, so when she eats, he sometimes pushes her out of the way and eats her food out of her food bowl.
Vet gave us some diet kind of can food for the Yorkie, which neither have much interest in.
I am thinking that if I can find a food (not treat) like FULL MOON CHICKEN strips - he may get encouraged to eat more. Other than that we worry a lot. He is strong - giving him meds is difficult, so I believe he's healthy, but my wife and I are stressed that he should eat more. Maybe it's more our problem than his???
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Pete

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don’t know what dog food brand you have in the Usa but often there are especially tasty foods that works on picky eaters. Go with a chicken based food since he seems to like that. The diet food from the vet might not be so tasty so try out other canned food as well. Often you can ask the staff in a pet store for a food that goes home with picky eaters. How thin is he? Often people think normal sized dogs are underweight because they’re used to only seeing overweight dogs. They should have a waist and you should easily be able to feel the ribs. Maybe you have pictures of him? From the side and straight above? If he has a lot of fur it’s hard to tell by pictures and you need to touch him to know. However, it’s important that he has a full nutrition food and not just snacks. So try out some different foods, give him time to settle in.

Definitely don’t let any dog take the others food. They should be no way near each other while eating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maxx is just plain thin - you can feel his ribs and backbone easily. Good idea to ask in pet food stores about picky eaters. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,735 Posts
I'd try putting some type of topper on his kibble. Use something like a pate canned dog food, or low sodium chicken broth. Heat up around a tablespoon of whatever you use, and if it's dog food mix it with a bit of water. Once it's heated mix it into the kibble and let it set for a few minutes so that the kibble has a chance to absorb some of the topper and take on it's smell. Then serve it to him. Give him 20 min to eat it then pick up whatever he doesn't finish. I'd feed him 2 to 3 times a day, just divide his daily portion of food between each meal.

It might help to rotate the flavor of the topper, and to rotate the kibble formula.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I think we are out of the woods now that he's become comfortable with his new home. We tried most of those suggestions, but the heating of a combination of prescription wet dog food and wet down with a bit of water including dry food seems to be working quite well. He certainly has not gained any weight, so I suppose we need to be satisfied that his metabolism is to be a skinny dog. He is now eating his food every morning and evening, and eliminates well. Matter of fact, he heads for the door and starts barking when it's time to potty. Heads out, does his business and barks when he's ready to come back in if we aren't with him by the time he potties. Regular all the time.. Loves riding in the car! One happy elderly doggie. Thanks again everyone.

·
Super Moderator
10,735 Posts
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I think we are out of the woods now that he's become comfortable with his new home. We tried most of those suggestions, but the heating of a combination of prescription wet dog food and wet down with a bit of water including dry food seems to be working quite well. He certainly has not gained any weight, so I suppose we need to be satisfied that his metabolism is to be a skinny dog. He is now eating his food every morning and evening, and eliminates well. Matter of fact, he heads for the door and starts barking when it's time to potty. Heads out, does his business and barks when he's ready to come back in if we aren't with him by the time he potties. Regular all the time.. Loves riding in the car! One happy elderly doggie. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for updating! I'm glad that he's settling in and now eating well. Yeah some dogs just don't gain wait, my friend's poodle is like that, and I really wish my boy were! My boy seems to gain weight by looking at food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts