Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have an 18 month old lab/bloodhound and we just got a 4 1/2 month old Black/Tan Coon hound. Both males.

The older one (Chivas) won't leave the young one alone. Wants to play ALL the time and keeps humping him. I'm afraid the little guy (Tucker) isn't getting enough downtime/sleep.

Any suggestions? I hate to lock Chivas in the basement while at work but don't know what else to do. Chivas doesn't go in crates. He's always had free run of the house. Same with Tucker.

Chivas is also displaying aggressive behavior when we get around the two of them. Chivas thinks of Tucker "as his toy" it seems. I have a call into a behaviorist about that but need a solution for the sleeping issue as soon as possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Each night, you need to separate two dogs. So Tucker can get enough rest. Tucker is still growing, so he needs enough rest daily.

If Chivas barks, try to give a doll or toys to Chivas as the substitute.

Sometimes you let both dogs play together. Sometimes you separate them. You pay attention to Tucker, whether he get tired or not.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! We are separating the two at night for sleeping and during the day while we are at work. Their play time is closely monitored together and we've worked out a "safe chair" for Tucker to climb onto that Chivas has to leave alone. Kinda like being safe on base.

Prayers answered, Chivas hasn't growled or snapped at me anymore so at least that's progress.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the growling and snapping from Chivas is back. And he just WONT leave that poor puppy alone. We do seperate them at night and during the day but when together all Chivas does is hump the little guy and want to play. He even takes away the puppy's toys so the puppy will pay attention to him.

Any tips on breaking this constant jumping and playing urge. We are at our wits end and wondering if we need to give up the puppy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts