Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just searched the forum but couldn't find anything specific to my question, so I apologize if this has been addressed already.

I have an older puppy - ACD, high prey drive - who we were told by the rescue was good with cats, but since we've had her that's proved to be different. Our one cat is very confident and doesn't put up with anything, and so Ember has learned that kitty is not to be chased or played with, and not to be challenged.

However, our other kitty is a nervous nelly, and the initial meeting didn't go well at all. Zoe was alright at first, but then Ember started to take a little too much interest, growling and staring, and it's been bad since then.

Zoe WILL NOT come downstairs unless she knows Ember is gone or crated, so it's been a challenge getting them used to one another. This past week I was successful in getting Zoe to come down and eat, and the food station for them is within sight from where we gate Ember off. It's gone excellently - no growls at ALL, just slight interest, and last night Ember just looked up and then went back to napping.

Today was the first day we were going to try leaving Ember gated off while we were at work. Zoe had come down to eat breakfast and all of a sudden I hear Ember growling at her again :(

I'm terrified of this situation... I don't want anything to happen to Zoe because of Ember... I would never get over that. It's alright now because when Ember isn't supervised she is crated, but I don't want to crate her like that for the rest of her life... I just don't think that's fair.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Were you able to condition your dog out of it? Riley, our other dog, has a high prey drive too, but he never growled at our cats and learned very quickly that they weren't to be chased. He actually sleeps with Zoe now too. He is not proving to be helpful in this matter either... he doesn't correct Ember or protect Zoe from her at all... he just kinda watches as everything unfolds.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't think I'd ever trust them alone together. Clearly the dog sees that cat as prey, and although that can be worked with, leaving them alone together sounds like a very bad idea. Acds are very intense and some can simply never be trusted with other animals.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was afraid of that :( I wish the rescue would have tested better... that was a deal breaker for us when we were searching ::cries::

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.