Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my new puppy home who has just turned 8 weeks. The introduction to my older dog who is 12 didn't go overly well my older dog didn't do anything agressive she just wouldn't stop barking at him while wagging her tail and wouldn't leave him alone the puppy being quite significantly smaller then my older dog was getting quite stressed. After about 30 minutes of constant barking and the situation just getting worse we separated them to give them both time to calm down. None of the information I researched before hand gave any advice on this so Any advice on how to proceed from now will be super helpful? Thank youuuu

·
Registered
435 Posts
None of the information I researched before hand gave any advice on this
Seriously? When I google this question I see 100s of articles all saying the same thing, (a) introduce them initially in a neutral area to avoid any territorial issues, and (b) have the older dog on a leash so you can prevent any negative reaction and keep the intro short.

Now you have a problem! It's not at all unfixable, but in general it's far easier to avoid ahead of time than it is to "fix" it later!

If I were faced with this situation, I'd leash both and walk them together in a neutral area. No contact, just let them get used to each other from a distance. Then slowly move in closer. Once they seem fine with that, a brief intro and sniff. Build from there...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Got any baby gates or different floors of the house?
I'd keep them on different floors if possible, brief intros in neutral environments (hopefully with a helper=one person per dog), and go slowly from there. Think like being on separate floors, but can see each other. One can work on training with one while the other does the same. Slowly, slowly, at puppy's pace in this case, decrease distance and then increase duration. Or increase duration first, whichever works best.
If all one floor, I'd keep puppy mostly in an x-pen in a different room with the door closed, and a baby gate across it to help keep older dog from charging the x-pen. Same steps.
For both scenarios, I'd see about scent swapping items. This lets both get somewhat acquainted without being overexcited/overwhelmed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts