Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- i am trying to search for anyone who has dealt with and older dog who has bad back legs and how to best help them? I have a 20 pound jack russell, who is 8. He means the world to me. Both his back knees are bad. He has a hard time walking sometimes. Its his ACL, vet says to give him the meds and make him comfortable. Is not recommending outright to do surgery at his age. He is on anti inflamitory meds but i really want to make sure i have the best knowledge on how best to help him. Other than the knee issues he is a great dog and my best friend. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Eight is really not that old for a Jack Russell. We have a neighbor that has one that is almost sixteen. Having said that, if your Vet feels that with rest and medication he can get that ACL to heal, that's the way to go, but barring other medical issues, eight is normally not too old to consider surgery, if that's the only way to rehabilitate him.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
If he's at all overweight then getting the weight off him will be a tremendous help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 80lbs lab is losing his back end muscles due to a disc rupture permanentally damaging nerves on his spinal cord. I was told he would be completely paralyzed from that disc down eventually. I went on amazon and bought a loop for him. It's a pretty wide piece of sturdy fabric that goes around his waist/belly and closes with velcro at the top. It also has straps at the top to hold on to. This way I can help him walk when he needs it. It helps take weight off his back legs. The straps are adjustable and they have different sizes too.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I agree with Rain, regarding his weight. If he is the least bit overweight, get that weight off him, which will relieve some of the work those knees have to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts