Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've gotta be out of where i live by the end of the month. Liam isn't used to kids, he's literally been around 3 kids in his almost 6 years. Two were younger(2 and under) and the third is 6. The six year old knows the rules about Liam, ya don't make sudden movements. Liam reacts to sudden movements, and every now and then the kid slips up and runs past Liam but now Liam doesnt even bat an eye.

WELL A friend that has a spoiled 7 year old son, who doesnt listen and is hyper offered to talk to her boyfriend/fiancee and see if i could move in with them... but Liam would be a concern. Now, I not Liam has never been away from me since he was 2 months old, and while he is a nice dog in public he has his faults.

He is super territorial
Stubborn
Hates his paws being touched
Iffy with other dogs(He hates being jumped on)
Unsure with kids

Now i note, the 2 year old straight up drew back(Arm over head) and smacked him in the face and he was face level with her. All he did was turn and run to me and i jumped up and said 'Oh HELL No' and got onto the kid.

The 6 year old has never hit Liam, or been rough with him cause he listens and adores Liam.

If i can't take him with me, i couldn't rehome him in good conscience i'd always worry bout him biting someone, or someone beating him and him mauling them.

My question is should i suggest bringing Liam around the kind on a leash and possibly muzzled(He has a basket muzzle) and see how he does, or should I consider putting him down? He has Retinal Apathy as well, and will one day(Probably soon) be completely blind. He already cant see well in the dark.

I note he isn't aggressive, my neighbors can be on their side of the yard or people walking down the road or across the street and he couldnt care less. It's only when someone who's not supposed to be there comes into our yard that he reacts.

Opinions? He's my baby.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would say keep desensitizing Liam. This dosn't sound like an impossible situation. I don't think that the muzzle is a bad idea.

Liam also doesn't get free range of the house anyway, so reasonable you can keep him away.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nevermind, That plan fell through. Her fiancee said not right now to me moving in with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.