Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have a small shih that's been spoiled for four years, taken from the mother relatively young (1 and 1/2 mos old) so he was never able to develop social skills for dogs and he doesn't get to interact with other dogs often since he stays at home most of the time. He's always been our only baby up till 2 days ago when we got 2 new pups from a friend.

One of them is a runt and the other is normal size. Our shih seems to keep wanting to hump the bigger puppy (who's also male) to no end. It's been 2 days and we don't think it's normal behavior anymore. We've stepped in to stop him so many times and yet he still keeps doing it. He keeps following the pup around and tries to hump the little critter and it's pissing both the puppy and me off. He's also excessively panting for some reason.

I also want to add in that he's the nicest dog you'd ever see. He's afraid of cats, super kind and hospitable to guests and only barks for food when we're at the dining table (although we never give him any), although there have been some episodes where he tries to hump guests' legs. These new puppies might be causing stress to him because he was the only dog in the house for a long time and thus the mounting behavior, but I'm really not certain.

I'm not sure if it's excitement, nervousness, arousal or being plain jealous. I really don't know what to do because it's non stop and I don't think there's an end in sight anytime in the future if I don't ask for advice. What could I do to stop him from mounting the puppy?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It's probably some combination of nervousness and stress. He's been an only dog for four years and suddenly there are two new creatures in his home disrupting his routine.

I'd continue to interrupt, make sure puppies can get away from him and he can get away from them, and if it continues perhaps talk to a trainer for an in-person assessment. Make sure he gets some quality time away from the puppies - walk in the park, training class, trip to the pet store, etc.

Since you mentioned two puppies, here's a relevant thread: Double Trouble. Two Puppies At Once

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's probably some combination of nervousness and stress. He's been an only dog for four years and suddenly there are two new creatures in his home disrupting his routine.

I'd continue to interrupt, make sure puppies can get away from him and he can get away from them, and if it continues perhaps talk to a trainer for an in-person assessment. Make sure he gets some quality time away from the puppies - walk in the park, training class, trip to the pet store, etc.

Since you mentioned two puppies, here's a relevant thread: Double Trouble. Two Puppies At Once
Thanks, will do my best. When I separate my dog from them he gets anxious and bangs on our door and scratches so he can get in. Really spoiled and it's probably our fault as owners haha.

Anyway, we won't be keeping the two puppies. The one being bothered to no end will find a new loving home within the next few days and I just want to make sure that he doesn't do it to the other pup once his brother is gone and I also want to make sure he doesn't get traumatized being mounted on every single minute while he's here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.