Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I have a 9 year old cocker spaniel (female) we have had her since she was a pup and has always had energy however was very well trained and good tempered. Recently she has been going up to neighbours and barking persistently at them if she gets out of the house (usually she would potter around our green outside the house with no problem) and at bed time she rolls onto her back and growls very aggressively when we try to move her to get her to go into her bed. I love her to bits and it makes me nervous and upset to see her behaving this way as I worry she may bite someone (has never before) with this change in attitude so any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Since the behavior change is sudden you should rule out medical before treating it like a behavior problem. There are some health conditions that can cause a dog to change how it acts, cushings, and thyroid problems, are two of them. Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (dog dementia) is another. If she's losing her hearing or eyesight that can also affect how she reacts to different situations. So get the vet to rule out health problems.

Is there a reason that you are trying to move her to get her to go on her bed? Have you tried teaching her to go to her bed when you ask?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Please consult a vet. Nobody can accurately diagnose your dog via the net. Maybe if you can film the behaviour and send an email ahead of your appointment so that the vet has a better idea what hes dealing with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the veg is the first person I’d like to consult however with the current pandemic they’re only seeing emergencies and won’t see her, and so was hoping someone might have any advise in the mean time. She was always trained to go to bed when told however now when we say “in to bed” she rolls onto her back and won’t budge and then starts this growling if we attempt to either lift her or to turn her back on to all fours

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the vet is the first person I’d like to consult however with the current pandemic they’re only seeing emergencies and won’t see her, and so was hoping someone might have any advise in the mean time. She was always trained to go to bed when told however now when we say “in to bed” she rolls onto her back and won’t budge and then starts this growling if we attempt to either lift her or to turn her back on to all fours

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Do you need to lift her? Can you just leave her be?

And maybe just restrict her access outside, if she starts barking bring her in?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yes the veg is the first person I’d like to consult however with the current pandemic they’re only seeing emergencies and won’t see her, and so was hoping someone might have any advise in the mean time. She was always trained to go to bed when told however now when we say “in to bed” she rolls onto her back and won’t budge and then starts this growling if we attempt to either lift her or to turn her back on to all fours

Ok your vet will see you if you phone ahead, explain the problem and take precautions. They are prioritising emergencies but they will see you.
If she bites someone it will become a matter of life and death .....hers.... so use email, film her send this to the vet so thay can give you a better idea of whats going on, She could be in pain when you move her. She could be in distress when she barks, if she is losing sense such as sight or hearing she might not be recognising familiar people and that makes her dangerous.

This isnt likely to just go away so a vet visit is going to be needed sooner or later and best to do it sooner before she does bit or her problems gets really serious.
Like I said vets are open and if you email first they will make an assesment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you need to lift her? Can you just leave her be?

And maybe just restrict her access outside, if she starts barking bring her in?
She sleeps in our kitchen/ utility we have never given our dogs full access to the house at night so this is when she’s in the siting room or another room in the house and the family are going to bed she has always gone into the kitchen/utility

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
She sleeps in our kitchen/ utility we have never given our dogs full access to the house at night so this is when she’s in the siting room or another room in the house and the family are going to bed she has always gone into the kitchen/utility
Rather than lifting her, can you just lure her with something fabulous like roast chicken or frankfurter sausage?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there I have a 9 year old cocker spaniel (female) we have had her since she was a pup and has always had energy however was very well trained and good tempered. Recently she has been going up to neighbours and barking persistently at them if she gets out of the house (usually she would potter around our green outside the house with no problem) and at bed time she rolls onto her back and growls very aggressively when we try to move her to get her to go into her bed. I love her to bits and it makes me nervous and upset to see her behaving this way as I worry she may bite someone (has never before) with this change in attitude so any help would be greatly appreciated
Hey Gilligag , so I totally get you when you mentioned the vets being picky about who they're letting in. It can be frustrating with an older dog getting to that stubborn stage in their life. But luckily there are very natural and cost effective ways to help these bumps in the road. I would highly recommend giving her dog CBD oil or CBD treats. They are known best for easing nervousness, anxiety and especially aggressiveness in older dogs. As well as improving mobility. I wrote an article here if you're interested !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok your vet will see you if you phone ahead, explain the problem and take precautions. They are prioritising emergencies but they will see you.
If she bites someone it will become a matter of life and death .....hers.... so use email, film her send this to the vet so thay can give you a better idea of whats going on, She could be in pain when you move her. She could be in distress when she barks, if she is losing sense such as sight or hearing she might not be recognising familiar people and that makes her dangerous.

This isnt likely to just go away so a vet visit is going to be needed sooner or later and best to do it sooner before she does bit or her problems gets really serious.
Like I said vets are open and if you email first they will make an assesment.
Thanks for this yes I fully appreciate it would be life or death which is why I’m reaching out for help, I did contact the vet 2 weeks ago and was told they couldn’t see her although I explained my worries and the situation but I will try again, hopefully they may have become more accommodating as time passes during this crisis, I appreciate your reply!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts