Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this is so long but I'm very overwhelmed and neither my husband and I know how to proceed as we have been given conflicting suggestions since we got the new puppy. My husband and I are on opposite shifts, 1st and 3rd.

To give some background. My husband and I purchased a pure bred female lab in November 2004. She was 6 weeks old at the time. We did puppy classes but not much else after that. Just continued to work on training on our own. We thought she needed a friend so we then adopted a male lab mix from the local humane society in February 2005. He was only a month younger than our female dog. They bonded instantly and only fought one or two times in the whole time they were together. We worked with him on the training that we learned in our puppy classes but he never went to classes.

When we moved into our house, we used one of the bedrooms as what we call the puppy room. We put their beds in there and it was where they were locked up if needed. Neither dog was kennel trained. The room was more his than hers. They would sleep in our bedroom at night and she would only go in the room once a day to eat her bedtime treat. He used it all the time to get away from people if needed. She always had to be in the same room as us. In June our male lab passed away. We decided to get another dog at the beginning of September. My husband has always wanted a Rottie and we found a good breeder to go to. He was 8 weeks old when we got him. We were told that he would play around with the other older dogs in the breeders house.

We moved him into the puppy room because that is the area that works the best to keep a puppy contained. We moved her bed out into the living room in the area that she lays down in throughout the day. We used baby gates to contain him in the room, unfortunately this did not allow her to go in the room. She didn't seem to care about this for the first couple weeks.

On the second day, he wanted to play with our 12 year old female. As a puppy does, he was using his teeth. She growled at him and because we were supervising we immediately move him away from her and tried to assure her she was okay. We called a trainer who told us to make sure to let her know that she was the number one dog. We got him a pen because he was potty in the room, needed a smaller space at night.

2 1/2 weeks went by and he was playing with a chew toy that we did not realize was flavored. He dropped it, and she picked it up thinking it was food as he was going for it. She bit him on the side of his nose and he yelped and ran away. Antibiotics for him and tighter supervision for them. He still wanted to hang out with her the night it happened. We have since them gotten a crate to start kenneling training him. At night, no matter if he was in the pen or in the kennel, we would still baby gate the room for my piece of mind.

Since then they have been getting along, she tolerates him, we remove him from the situation when we can see she is annoyed. Open spaces so she can move away from him if he is bothering her. I learned that I was not supposed to pick him up around her so we eliminated that. Still making sure she is number one dog. Getting ready to start puppy classes for him and last Sunday night as I'm giving her attention, he comes up. I continue to give her attention and redirect him to another area. He goes to walk around her and next thing I know she goes for him and starts growling at and biting him. I had to pull her off of him. He has two hairline fractures in his nose and has to wear a cone for 3 weeks. The only thing I can think of that would have provoke her is if he was nipping at her but I could not see it for certain.

Was it jealousy that he was bothering us while we where having our time or could this be something else? Also, we have started noticing that she is more territorial of me than my husband. All of these things happen when I'm alone with the dogs. Nothing happens if my husband is there or alone with them. She follows me from room to room and will bark if I'm in the room with the puppy feeding him or giving him attention. If I'm taking him out to go potty she has to be right there with us. We have from the beginning separated them when they are eating and we feed her first but she goes looking to the room to see if he has food left. He will be in the crate or baby gated in the room so she can get to the food bowl.

We had to move around some things in our house but we will be moving him out of the puppy room to another room in the house hoping that this will help her get over her jealousy. We have an appointment with a trainer next week and the vet said to keep them on leashes when they are in the same room with each other.

I'm completely overwhelmed and would welcome any and all advice that you can give me. Thank you for taking the time to read my long drawn out story.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've heard that the humans cannot arrange dog's order in the pack, that is something the dogs need to do on their own. Since the puppy is likely to get killed if you did that, I see your problem. We have a one-year old and just got a new puppy and he's four months old. Sometimes the baby frustrates the older one and I can tell the older one needs a break. If necessary, is returning the puppy an option? If not, perhaps a private session with a trainer or perhaps a behavioralist.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I got a puppy with a 9 year old dog once. She definitely taught him what annoyed her with one swift bark. But then he would back down. Is your puppy backing down with her warnings? If not, I can see your older dog's point if that makes sense. The other issue is 12 is quite old....she may have some cognitive issues related to aging at this point that is making it extremely challenging for her to adjust to him for some reason...in other words, she's too old for this. Hopefully the trainer can help you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some dogs just don't tolerate puppies. Imagine if you were a 12 year old dog. You have run of the house, you have great owners that feed you...life is good, calm predictable...then, a little bit of chaos is added.

Some dogs just do not like puppies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts