Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new here. My Toy Fox Terrier is ~14 years old, still healthy, but in need of a good teeth cleaning. I usually get his teeth cleaned under anesthesia every 6 months, but I am concerned about his age this time. When is too old for a dog like this to "go under" for teeth cleaning? And what determining factors should I consider?

Cleaning his teeth without him knocked out is not an option. I have tried several times and he hates it. The idea of just massaging his teeth and trying to get him used to it doesn't work for him. He has to be asleep.

I have spoken to the vet and they are worried about his age too, but say that he still might be ok. Are there canine sleeping pills available just to get him to doze off? I could then do the cleaning myself at home. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Also, any suggestions for chews that help keep front teeth clean?

Thanks,
S

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
ive never had a dog that old before but that is a worry his age. I give Jessie Veggie dents, hard bones, beef jerky sticks to help clean the teeth. veggie dents arent cheap but they are full of good stuff and help clean the teeth. I also know raw meaty bones do as good a job at cleaning teeth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts