Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nine-year-old American bulldog, he's a huge huge baby who has been the only dog for over 3 years. A few days ago I brought home a 9 week old puppy. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the real responsibilities of the puppy (puppy depression for sure) but what I'm upset about the most (and yes randomly crying, lump in my throat, can't eat) is my older dog. I feel like he's upset. He has not shown me the affection he usually does. He doesn't hate her but he doesn't seem extremely interested.

I'm just having a really hard time with feeling like I'm hurting my other dogs feelings. I know it seems silly but when I think about it I just cry. I love my older dog so much and I always joked about him needing a buddy, but now that I got him one I feel awful.

I know it will take time but has anyone else gone through something like this? Maybe I'm just exhausted and hormonal, but I do feel incredibly awful.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think that's a very common response- just like people romanticizing what it will be like to have a puppy and having to come to terms with what puppyhood is actually like people tend to romanticize the immediate relationship between two dogs. Adding another dog is usually pretty chaotic at first and it's definitely common for the resident dog to seem like it's a bit put out.

Not all dogs like puppies. Puppies can be a huge pain- they're needy, they have constant energy and they often aren't great at listening to other dogs (or people) when they let them know they've had enough.

I ran into similar problems both times I've added a second dog to the household. The first time I was adding a large breed (lab/BC/mutt) puppy with endless energy and poor social skills to a house with a small breed 6 year old dog (~15lb Boston Terrier) who was highly dog aggressive and fairly grumpy. It took a good eight months before the two of them settled together completely and started laying in the same bed. Our older dog definitely seemed to mope for awhile and would even go so far as to hide in small places where the puppy couldn't bother her, but eventually they became best friends. The older dog got really sick a year after bringing the puppy home and remained sick for the rest of her life (about 4 years) and I think the other dog really increased her quality of life towards the end by keeping her animated and moving around even when she was weak and just by giving her company.

Our first dog passed about 2 years ago and in November of this year we decided to add another dog (another Boston Terrier, so this time the puppy was much smaller than the resident dog). Luckily the Lab/BC/Mutt loves puppies and that helped her adjust in the very beginning but again there was some unrest. She would mope and sometimes try to guard the bed from the puppy, but after a few months that settled down and now the two of them are inseparable.

My biggest advice is try to stay positive- be excited about even just the tiniest positive reaction between the two of them. I would highly recommend having some one-one-one time with your current dog every day, maybe try to fit in a walk with just him and the rest of the family (sans puppy) and then a half hour to an hour where the puppy is crated and he gets to enjoy life like it was with everyone in the family home and hanging out with him.

Try not to make yourself feel too guilty- the two dogs will bond in time. I am definitely someone that strongly prefers two dogs to one- the bond that eventually forms between them is wonderful to see and ranges from extraordinarily touching to super comedic to watch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! There have already been a few funny moments that's for sure. And I will take him on a nice long walk tonight without her

I think it may just be more emotional for me, and not so much him.

Hopefully they are snuggled up in no time!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: they are playing together after a few days, he's a little rough but stops when I tell him to. He's starting to act normal again so I'm pretty happy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts