Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 yr old lab/pointer that i rescued for my son when he was 10. She slept with him every night and grew up with him and 3 other dogs that were my other kids. I have several problems with her now. MY son joined the marines so she is here with us now and my other kids grew up and I have all 4 dogs. She wants nothing to do with the other dogs and it has gotten so bad we have to keep her completely separate. The 2nd issue is we do foster care and she all of sudden doesn't like little kids and tries to nip at them so we have to keep her away from them. The 3rd problem is she has developed horrible sleep habits. One night she will refuse to sleep alone, the next night she will want to go outside every few minutes for no reason just to want to come back in and will want to move all over the place. MY wife and I are beside ourselves with what to do with her. Please help?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Some dogs as they get older and start to lose their hearing or sight, act like that. Have you had her into a Vet to be checked? She could also be in pain from arthritis so you should have that checked.

Susie, my Bernese cross, is 11 1/2 years old. She has always been good with my little dogs but sometimes they will bang into her when she is lying down and it hurts so she lets them know but would never hurt them. I have her on Green Lipped Mussel which seems to help her feel better.

·
Registered
917 Posts
She could have pain issues which could be causing most of the things you bring up. Pain makes it hard to sleep and irritable. There is also something called canine cognitive disorder and sundowers. I believe my lab/pointer, Vegas has CCD. It's basically dog Demetria.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would be the best way to handle it with vet with-out breaking the bank( we are on a fixed budget) and the best way to handle her do you think. We just try and keep her separate from everybody which gets very hard sometimes because she refuses to be alone and then at night my wife and I take turns babysitting her, but that is getting harder too.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'd start with the vet, and do a senior blood panel, also get an x-ray to show if she has arthritis and if so how bad it may be. If she is in pain it may be causing her to be less tolerant of your other dogs and fosters also to be grumpy in general, so if you get any pain and discomfort she's experiencing under control she may be more willing to socialize. If she has the CCD that Annageckos mentioned there is medicine that may help with it.

Other then that management is the only thing that'll help, and it'll take trying different things to figure out what may work best for you and your family. An example would be my dog is fear aggressive and becomes very defensive whenever I have people over that he does not know very well, I could crate him, leash him, leave him loose, or put him in the next room with a baby gate to keep him from exiting it. The last seems to work best for him, he can still see out into the room I and my guest are in, he's loose so he's less defensive, and he does not have access to my guest so the person is safe, he also seems to think the baby gate keeps the person from getting to him, all of that helps him to settle down quickly. It took trial and error to figure out that works best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts