Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend's dog looks like he is in obvious pain yet he does not want to have to put him down. A while ago, about last year or a little less than, I printed out a coupon for him to take him to a vet for free for a general check up. His dog is a male chihuahua about 15 or 16 years old.

The vet said he had a heart murmur and a benign tumor on his head, he developed a second one not long after the visit. Since then, his dog has lost some teeth, it would normally be when it is just me and him at home because my boyfriend works very often. The first tooth I saw was very black and had some blood on the roots. It looked very bad and without taking him to the vet, we can obviously assume he has gum disease or something along those lines.

His dog also became suddenly aggressive toward me and some family members. He often attacks my young niece for something as simple as walking by. He will attack me just by seeing me. I will go to use the restroom and it will stare then begin to attack the door once I am in the restroom, this has gone on for 2 out of 3 years I've been living with them.

His dog on several occasions, will go out of it's way and put itself in harms way just to attack me. There have been times where the dog will cough up a lung after barking at me for several minutes, it will push its body through a gate, it has vomited after attacking me as well as injuring itself by falling down the stairs when running to attack me. This dog is very old and fragile. He has told me the dog in the past has injured it's leg in the door and recently one of his front paws was injured so now it makes it hard for him to walk most times. He also constantly does this thing where he will be licking the air and swallowing.

Even though this dog is so wild toward me, I still wish for the best care for it. It seems as though this dog should just be put at peace and put to rest but he is not willing to take him to the vet again because he knows they will tell him the dog should be put down. I know it is hard to lay a close dog to rest, I have had to do is several times in my past but this dog seems like he is in constant pain. The fact that he is so aggressive toward me while I do nothing seems like he sees me as some sort of villain or intruder because he no longer knows who I am.

He hates whenever I bring up anything about his dog, absolutely hates it to the point where it will start a very lengthy fight about how he thinks I dislike the dog when I'm honestly looking out for the best care. No dog should be sitting there in pain regardless of if I liked it or not which is not a factor at all. Whether or not I do, the dog should be considered and should be laid to rest and be at peace instead of suffering this way.

If anyone has any way to help me convince him he needs to lay his dog to rest, please help me. This dog continues to put itself through so much more than it can handle just to attack others. Even the other day, he played with him only throwing a ball and the dog came back hacking up a lung. This dog is very old and I think I need to get him to realize this is not fair treatment for his dog. I need anyone's help to convince him that he needs to lay his dog down and allow his dog to no longer be in pain.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry your family is going through this. This winter we had to put down our family dog. It sounds as though his mind is really being affected by this disease process. It is tough to "be ready" to get rid of a family pet. Consider to safety of your niece other family. Mainly, consider the pain and decline of the dog. Perhaps, if the dog is still playing and eating it may be too soon. Your vet would best guide you to the appropriate time to say goodbye. Sit down and try to have an open conversation with your boyfriend about the quality of life for the dog and his expectations. Where would he draw the line? How bad do things have to be to consider his options? Do not push for them to put the dog down if they are not ready. Best of luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts