Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Last week my older dog who is 11 years old, began to start whining all night. She has NEVER done this before in all of the time that I've had her. Sometimes, if I ignore her she eventually stops. Other times, she will keep whining for hours on end. I initially thought it was an extreme case of separation anxiety because sometimes, she would stop whining if she could see me, but this isn't always the case.

She's also began to exhibit other behavioral problems. I live in an apartment and can no longer have her roam my apartment due to all of the accidents she's had. I would take her for long walks, only to have her later on see she's left me surprises or soiled somewhere on the floor.

I just can't take this anymore. This is really effecting my sleep and I'm starting to really dislike my dog whom I've always loved. Looking forward to some feedback.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts

·
Banned
45 Posts
Hi everyone. Last week my older dog who is 11 years old, began to start whining all night. She has NEVER done this before in all of the time that I've had her. Sometimes, if I ignore her she eventually stops. Other times, she will keep whining for hours on end. I initially thought it was an extreme case of separation anxiety because sometimes, she would stop whining if she could see me, but this isn't always the case.

She's also began to exhibit other behavioral problems. I live in an apartment and can no longer have her roam my apartment due to all of the accidents she's had. I would take her for long walks, only to have her later on see she's left me surprises or soiled somewhere on the floor.

I just can't take this anymore. This is really effecting my sleep and I'm starting to really dislike my dog whom I've always loved. Looking forward to some feedback.
The dog is trying to tell you that it is in some type of pain, or is in such bad pain that it can not help itself. It is up to us to understand their language, as much as it is up to them to try to understand ours. 11 is old for a dog and any sort of old age malady might be present, from something minor to cancer. So please have her examined and good luck.............!

·
Registered
893 Posts
I agree, a vet visit is warranted at this point. I hope your dog is ok.

Have there been any changes lately that could be affecting her behaviour?

·
Registered
247 Posts
My 10 YO dog has changed a lot in the last year, especially how she behaves overnight - no one is getting much sleep. She is also experiencing SA, which she never did before. We've had blood work done twice this year - all normal. She does not appear to be in any pain - plays hards outside and goes for walks. I think she is exhibiting some of the symptoms of canine cognitive dysfunction, possibly early stages. We've tried many natural things to reduce her anxiety, but may have to resort to medication; that's the vet's recommendation at this point.

I encourage you to start with a thorough exam, including vision and hearing. The website Grabby posted above is a really good one - very informative. You may want to try some Rescue Remedy in her water and some calming music for dogs. You can find videos on youtube. Try not to be too frustrated as that may compound the problem. (Not being preachy - I'm in the same boat and I know how anxious it makes me!!!!)

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Get her to a vet and have her checked out.

I had an elderly dog named Hey You, and one day she started wobbling a little when she got up...got her balance and stride after 4 or 5 steps though. But, at the same time she started leaking. I did have a doggy door but she rarely made it out without leaving a dotted stream over to it. A vet check, suggested she probably had a stroke. Sometimes dogs can recover from some of the stroke...but it's a hit and miss thing. Hey You never recovered from the loss of bladder control.

I've also had dogs get dementia. Grabby mentioned it also. Dementia can come and go so sometimes the dog acts normally and sometimes not. They can get lost in their own homes.

Another dog I had named Sampson would get under my piano's keyboard space and then just stare out from the wood posts on the ends...sometimes at the wall, sometimes at the front room side...but she had no clue as to how to back out and get out of that space. She also would go into the bathroom, nose at the wall of the tub and start barking because she didn't know how to turn around and go back out the door again.

Even arthritis could be an issue...a little pain, and not being able to get comfortable at night might cause the whining....get a good padded bed for her if all you are using now is something like a folded up blanket. The leaking...it cold be that there is some pain and she's finding it easier to just go in the house rather than make the effort to go outside. They have pain meds for arthritic dogs...so that might solve some things if that is the case.

With your dog...where' it's whining at the same time (night time hours), it could be she's experiencing some hearing or eye sight issues...and turning off the light has her confused or scared, but the leaking in the house...that suggests there's more going on...and that is why you really should have your vet check her out and figure out if it's joint pain, or dementia, or a stroke, or some kind of kidney infection....it could be one of a many number of things and your vet should be able to narrow it down for you.

I'm sorry you and your dog are going through all this...it gets really hard sometimes when an elderly pet starts behaving in odd ways and one has to try to figure out what could be doing it.

Stormy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.