Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 year old Chihuahua who has suddenly become a very picky eater. He has gone through some very big changes recently. He recently had a life long mate that passed a few weeks ago, and we moved since, so he is in new surroundings. His appetite doesn't seem to have diminished, as he still begs for scraps and wants to eat anything we're eating, but he's lost interest in the wet dog food that weeks ago he was gobbling down. He is still as active as before. I've started giving him cheese, as it's one of the few things I have that he'll eat, but I know it's not the best for him. Any advice that might help me?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Has he been to a vet for a check up and some blood work? That can rule out any medical issues. Otherwise, at his age if he were mine I would let him eat anything that he will. Leftovers, scraps etc.... As long as he is eating something. That's better than nothing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It could just be down to the move and the loss of his friend. It may well pass in a few weeks but as the above poster said, 15 is very good and I'd let him eat anything that's not too bad in moderation. I have found carrots are a great treat and help clean their teeth.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Way too much going on to really determine what could be the cause on your own so you'll really need to start at the vet. Even if he was there a couple of months ago I'd take him back and let them know about the decline in appetite. Once he's cleared medically I'd look into home cooking, feed him what he'll eat but make sure that it's nutritionally complete. You can use something like The Honest Kitchen and either choose a complete mix or a base mix that you add your own meat to, or you can cook for him and simply add a vitamin supplement to fill in the nutritional gaps.

With the elderly dogs the key is to keep them eating, and at the age they are I learned to not insist that the food be dog food. I spoiled my old boy, he got home cooked food for the last few months of his life, anything to keep him eating, and I never regretted doing so.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I also recommend the honest kitchen. Just like home cooking. It is expensive but with a small dog very affordable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 15 year old Chihuahua who has suddenly become a very picky eater. He has gone through some very big changes recently. He recently had a life long mate that passed a few weeks ago, and we moved since, so he is in new surroundings. His appetite doesn't seem to have diminished, as he still begs for scraps and wants to eat anything we're eating, but he's lost interest in the wet dog food that weeks ago he was gobbling down. He is still as active as before. I've started giving him cheese, as it's one of the few things I have that he'll eat, but I know it's not the best for him. Any advice that might help me?

It's hard when the older ones lose a friend :(

My 15yo Shepherd mix with DM went downhill after a dog he helped raise from a puppy died last year, and I saw similar problems with him refusing foods and his disease worsening right after she died. Two things helped, though. If you are able to get this dog out on a leash to new places where he can meet other people/animals, that would be ideal. A trip to the park, anything where he can break the old routine and get him out of the "dumps". A depressed dog is just going to lose interest.

It also helped to give him foods that made him happy - my Shepherd went crazy for homemade peanut butter treats, and that helped get his appetite back. Cooked foods and broths also stimulate the appetite because they have a stronger smell/taste, so maybe try something like cooked ground beef or healthy leftovers. I'm not a fan of feeding very old dogs kibble or wet foods unless there's a medical reason, so if he wants what you're eating, you might consider saving some of your scraps and giving that to him in his bowl (and not from the table, or you'll have a beggar on your hands). And if he can tolerate it, a little evaporated milk or cream might also be appreciated :cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I second a vet visit with some basic blood work if that has not alread been done. If all checks out OK, at least you know that there are no underlying health issues causing this new behavior. Perhaps he is just stressed, or still mourning his companion, but it is nice to know you're not missing something...
I also have always given in to my older guys and offered home cooking or healthy leftovers when their appetites have started to wane. At some point it becomes more important that the dog is eating something nutritious and getting calories in, than being a stickler about them eating only dog food.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You really need to have your Vet check for any possible medical issues. Having said that, there are so many things that could be causing loss of appetite, ranging from emotional, to just going through a picky phase, to medical issues, some of which could be potentially serious. Let us know what your Vet thinks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is quite normal. When someone close to a dog pass way they become quite sad. The last pet I had passed away and Sam use to do the same. We even took Sam to a vet and the vet said that's normal, he'll be fine soon. And if we talk about his eating habits, then it would take some time for him to get familiar with the environment there. You can even for a change order dog food from reputed dog food suppliers like NYC Dog Food Delivery or Brooklyn dog food delivery that have good experience in feeding dogs. Different breeds have different requirements of nutrients. May be this change in the diet would help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts