Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My senior GSD--10 in November--has been on Kibbles 'n Bits for six years. I recently acquired him from my father and have switched him over to Bill Jac.

He's been on it for about 3wks now but he's still reluctant to eat it. His bowel movements are still rather irregular and loose. He's also eating a lot of grass when he goes out to potty.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Did you do a slow switch or did you do it all at once? This might have caused some trouble, as if a dog always eats the same thing they sorta become weak to digesting new stuff, so a fast switch might uspest the stomach while a gradual change would give the dogs a chance to adapt to the new food.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've worked in the pet biz for a while and before bringing Dakota home decided to just do a complete switch. I considered mixing the new stuff with the old stuff gradually but my vet and I talked and since Kibbles 'N Bits is such a poor quality food she said it may do more good in the long run to just completely rid him of the Kibbles.

I switched for most of the above reasons. Kibbles 'N Bits is a really terrible food. His bms were mostly normal--from what I'd seen--on the K&B.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Looks like the Bil Jac isn't working for him then, assuming he has been negative on a fecal exam and has no systemic illnesses. I'd find something else to switch him to-- and due to age I'd go for some sort of Senior Diet.

Regarding quality since you mentioned it-- Bil Jac's really not much better if that was the main reason for switching.

It also sounds like you probably didn't switch gradually enough like Blue Pup mentioned.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Bil Jac has corn in it, its time to find a grain free and corn free diet for the poor guy and see if that works. I would also stay away from chicken as the protein source. Taste of the Wild is great food at a great cost.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Bil Jac gave my dogs issues as well. I talked to a lady at our local pet store and she said she took a tour of the manufacturing plant(just down the way from where I am) and will NEVER feed her dogs it based off the conditions. That coupled with the ingredients and price, does not make it the best bang for your buck.

Try something grain free. Ill second the Taste of the wild is a good food, and its not to pricy

·
Registered
129 Posts
Had a kid at my show yesterday that has a Golden Retriever and feeds him Science Diet sensitive Stomach. Said that it was working wonders for them. I have never tried the food on my dogs but just thought I would throw that out there. This kid showed me pics (dog is about 11 and was a rescue) and he was terrible skinny (could count ever rib even in the pic. After just 3 months on the food the dog looks great and has improved movements and a much better body weight and coat. Just an idea.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would never recommend feeding Science Diet, Bil Jac or Kibbles and Bits.

The main ingredient in SD ground whole grain corn, which has minimal nutritional value for your dog. The second ingredient is brewers rice, the third is egg and finally you get some meat in the fourth ingredient, though it's chicken meal (not great).

When picking a food for your dog, it's important to know what ingredients you should look for and avoid. You do not want corn as a first ingredient in your food, it's a filler, nor do you want chicken by-products. What you want is deboned chicken, fish or whatever meat source. Here's a great website that is not biased:

Dry Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Advisor

It has 1-5 star reviews and actually tells you which ingredients are good and why and which ingredients are bad and why. Quality food is pricier, but your dog will benefit SO much from having a decent diet. Good luck finding something that works for your dog :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would never recommend feeding Science Diet, Bil Jac or Kibbles and Bits.

The main ingredient in SD ground whole grain corn, which has minimal nutritional value for your dog. The second ingredient is brewers rice, the third is egg and finally you get some meat in the fourth ingredient, though it's chicken meal (not great).

When picking a food for your dog, it's important to know what ingredients you should look for and avoid. You do not want corn as a first ingredient in your food, it's a filler, nor do you want chicken by-products. What you want is deboned chicken, fish or whatever meat source. Here's a great website that is not biased:

Dry Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Advisor

It has 1-5 star reviews and actually tells you which ingredients are good and why and which ingredients are bad and why. Quality food is pricier, but your dog will benefit SO much from having a decent diet. Good luck finding something that works for your dog :)
Ah see i didn't know what was in SD. Just that that particular kid has had good luck with it. What about Blue Buffalo or making your own??

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ah see i didn't know what was in SD. Just that that particular kid has had good luck with it. What about Blue Buffalo or making your own??
I think a raw diet is the best thing you can feed your dogs, but to start feeding raw is pricey and it takes up a bunch of freezer space.

I feed Blue Buffalo, which is a much better food than any of those mentioned. It's pricey, however - I spend almost $150 a month on food. Other good ones are Innova, Natural Balance, Avoderm and Orijen.

The last one is pretty pricey, though... It would cost me nearly $400 a month to feed Orijen, though if I could afford that, I totally would.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
These ingredients are really poor if you want a food that does not break the bank but is still decent food try the a brand at costco called natures domain. Its grain free and is a healthy diet or the Kirklands is also Ok the ingredients compare to nutro natural choice dog food. compare the ingredients, which would you choose to eat.
bill jac
KEY INGREDIENTS:
Chicken, Chicken By-Products (organs only, source of arginine), Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Brewers Dried Yeast, Oatmeal and Flaxseed.

Natures domain made for Costco By Diamond foods the same company that makes taste of the wild.
Salmon meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, potato protein, potato fiber, natural flavor, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I've seen too many animals not eat Innova or Natural Balance that I would not waste my money on it.

Settergal-- Every dog will respond to a different food differently-- I don't doubt that dog did well on the Sensitive Stomach. Holly has done best on Purina ProPlan so far, no matter what these random dog food websites say about it ... lol. My old dog could only eat prescription W/D (Hills). Everything else, including some of the "5 star" foods gave her watery diarrhea.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
What happens when a dog you get in the future does not agree with fillers and corn? I personally am not willing to wait for it, when its clearly crap food and equivalent to us eating mcdonalds every day I will choose to feed my dog a higher quality food

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've seen too many animals not eat Innova or Natural Balance that I would not waste my money on it.

Settergal-- Every dog will respond to a different food differently-- I don't doubt that dog did well on the Sensitive Stomach. Holly has done best on Purina ProPlan so far, no matter what these random dog food websites say about it ... lol. My old dog could only eat prescription W/D (Hills). Everything else, including some of the "5 star" foods gave her watery diarrhea.
You know, I've heard that about Innova, but I hadn't about Natural Balance. Interesting!

Lots of these "5 star" foods will cause diarrhea in the first several weeks because of the sudden change to a protein-rich diet. It can wreak havoc on your dog's digestive system - however it is much better for them in the long run :)

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Some of the things that are considered "fillers" are actually the fiber sources in the food.

Learned an interesting thing today from a nutritionist... The ingredients are listed based on wet weight, not dry weight-- and meat being the first ingredient is due to the fact that meat contains a lot of water. Not that the product actually contains more meat than any of the other products based on dry weight. Good to know!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Some of the things that are considered "fillers" are actually the fiber sources in the food.
Some of them. I would really recommend avoiding corn, though. Dog food companies are notorious for getting corn cheaply, which usually means purchasing the same corn that's used for feeding livestock. They buy leftovers from human grade industries that have sat too long, therefore allowing bugs, mites and mold into the corn.

My approach to the dog food I feed is that "if I can't eat it, I don't really want my dogs eating it". I can't eat chicken by-products or corn meal, because they are not FDA approved for human consumption. The fact that they aren't FDA approved is troublesome because the manufacturing processes are largely not overseen, therefore allowing companies to get away with cheap shortcuts at the cost of the quality of their product.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i fed my old dog supermarket brands for most of his life. he's 11. when he was7 or 8 he was nearly killed by hogs and i talked to his vet in depth about his diet. he was on kibbles n bits. i thought that because i was spending more i was giving him a better food. so after trying several suggestions by the vet we changed Rocky's food to pedigree, it was the only one he would eat. i felt like i was doing him a favor. getting him better food. wrong. he still had horrible gas. he still had this odor in his coat. honestly i thought it was just him. then i got my pup, darla, and started researching. i found that the pedigree was just as bad as the kibbles n bits. so i put them both on Taste of the Wild. within a week Rocky's gas was gone. then i discovered Darla was allergic to chicken, so i switched them both to the lamb formula of TOTW. Now his coat odor is completely gone, they both have triple the energy level, and they both have a normal regular bowel cycle. i'm convinced. The food makes all the difference in the world. will the other food kill them? no. but that doesnt mean it's okay. i used to spend $20 on a 17lb bag of pedigree. now i spend $45 on a 30 lb bag of Taste of the wild. its not really that much more, and they eat and poop less cause they are able to use more of the food. my 11 year old dog is currently playing and rough housing with a 4 1/2 month old Great Dane pup. now that's impressive. after all, I cant even keep up with this pup's energy level! lol!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts