Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
Looking for suggestions on how to stop a 10 year old German Shepherd's constant itching.
Vet recommended salmon oil: been using that for 2 months, itching has gotten worse.
They also recommended oatmeal shampoo; Gave her an extensive bath with this shampoo: itching is still bad.
It is not a flea problem.
Seems to get acute every winter but this winter is particularly bad.
Thank you for any dietary or supplement recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
The only way I know of to stop it is to eliminate the cause. What happens if she gets an antihistamine? Does that stop it, even temporarily? Because if so, you would know that it is an allergy, albeit not what she is allergic to.

Or could it be dryness caused by your central heating (since it gets worse in winter)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply Joanne. I would not think it is an allergy (but I could be wrong) since it gets worse with the winter but her diet stays the same. So maybe seasonally related even though I live in a humid area. Thanks for feedback, I will explore idea of antihistamine with my vet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What food do you have your dog on by chance? I’d rather something limited ingredient like Pure Vita or Zignature. Not only is it good for the immune system to switch it up but it can help determine if it’s environmental or food allergy.... You could try bone broths (I use Primals since it’s frozen otherwise I use The Honest Kitchens bone broth pour overs and meal boosters as well), it detoxifies the liver and helps prevent against allergies....

watch this video from Dr. Karen Becker. She has a lot of great info that I think could help.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OP2gGwhFe0c

1 - 4 of 4 Posts