Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 12 year old miniature pinscher, but lately she is the loudest dog on the block. I have another dog, a 6 yr old muggin (min pin/pug mix) and she's fairly quiet, but when my older dog barks(Cleo) she joins in sometimes too. Cleo has a deep bark, she sounds like a medium sized dog, you would never guess shes a tiny min pin. She is quite blind, with cataracs in her eyes and im guessing her hearing is going out too, but i heard thats the last thing to go.. she's pretty healthy and is still running around and being fierce as usual, but she barks at nothing all the time. She never used to bark this much. In the middle of the night she thinks that she hears something, but there is no noise. Maybe she thinks she sees something. How can i tell her no? i know youre not supposed to yell back, but even in a firm tone, she still doesnt listen to me. She also barks when im getting food, which she always did but now it's gotten worse. She is old and cranky and its getting on my nerves. She will bark at everything, i open a cabinet she will bark thinking it's food, i put on my shoes and she will bark. I open a door or i will get something out of the closet. She is food obsessed, and i cant change that now, but how can i correct this?

Anybody have any advice for correcting an old dog's behavior? It's quite recent, it's been prgressively getting worse for the past 2 years but now i'm noticing it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dogs get their own version of Alzheimer's. It's called Canine Cognitive Dysfunction. Look it up. She needs your patience now. There are a couple treatments for it if that is what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Its probably time to start at your veterinarian. Old dogs get all sorts of health problems that can be at the root of annoying behaviors. Tell your vet all the behavior changes you have seen and ask for a full blood work up.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Dog sat for a 17 yr old yorkie with the doggie dementia, she would bark at walls, shadows, and all night at "nothing". There are meds that are really helpful for this. Her's usually started and got worse from twilight on....please go to the vet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts