Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My doggie daughter is suffering from Chronic Vestibular Syndrome right now, and although she is improving very slowly, she is getting weaker and losing weight. She is about 34 pounds, but normally 40-42. She is not eating or drinking at all. She went to the emergency vet overnight Saturday into Sunday. She drank about 4-5 sips, twice, on Sunday, but nothing since. I'm administering a Cerenia down her throat in the am, and a meclizine in the evening.

·
Super Moderator
1,826 Posts
She might be feeling nauseous from the vestibular, can your vet give her an anti nausea medication?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You can't let her get dehydrated. Your Vet can inject liquid under her skin to re-hydrate her, or your alternative is to hospitalize her so she can be on IV's for hydration. We went with the under skin injections some time ago, when ours was reacting to medication and was not eating or drinking. It worked well, kept her hydrated until she could start drinking on her own. Talk to your Vet, but do not let her get too dehydrated, as that can cause permanent organ damage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Whenever i have a dog that won’t drink the first thing i try is offering them watermelon. It’s worked more often than not. Hope your pup is doing ok

1 - 4 of 4 Posts