Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dog 15F has started acting really weird. She's normally well behaved but she's lost her hearing with old age so following commands is a little difficult for her but she tries her best. She knows she's not allowed upstairs and has followed that rule since she was a Puppy.
She recently has been going upstairs into the kids room when she thinks I'm not around (if I'm in the kitchen) I was eating breakfast in the kitchen today when I heard her little paws go upstairs so I decided to follow her and see what she was up to.
She was sniffing around in the kids room when she finally noticed me, she heads to their cupboard and starts scratching at the door so I opened it out of curiosity, (the cupboard is pretty full of boxes from when we remodeled the kitchen so you can't move around in there) she starts scratching at a box and keeps looking at me and wagging her tale, there is nothing she would want in the box. I decide to pat her bum and get her to leave the room and she goes back downstairs but she keeps looking up the stairs and walking halfway up them and back down. It's really creepy because now I think my house is haunted...
My dog has been diagnosed with dementia so I don't know if this could be something to do with that but it's the first proper sign of her not acting as normal, I thought maybe she was bored because she hasn't been out for a long walk in a few days since it has been snowing and she has arthritis in her back legs which is worsened by cold so small walks around the block are all she's had.
So I thought I'd pop on here to see if anyone has experienced the same thing and if it is possible warning signs as I know dogs like to distance themselves when they are unwell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People with dementia can experience hallucinations so while there may be nothing in the box that she might want, perhaps she thinks there is.
I thought so too, she has been fixated with one corner of the room in our living room today, she keeps growing like there is something there (she's not normally a growling dog either so that's out of character) I think she might be having a bad dementia day,
I'm not sure what I can do to help her apart from belly rubs.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Just keep letting her know that she is very much loved, no matter what. And, I would also, if this were my dog, give her a toy when she thinks there is something in a box or corner, so that she can have the satisfaction of having "found" something. That might help as well. Mostly, elders with dementia just need to know they are safe and loved, whether dog or human or any other animal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.