Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new, and this seemed like an appropriate forum to go for help.

So I have a 12 year old cat who is VERY shy towards other people/animals. It took her almost a year to not run away from my old roommate's cat, though he was a bit of an a*hole. She's not aggressive though.

Now I have been considering getting a dog for about ~6 months now, as I'm in a new apartment with more room than my last apartment. I am terrified, however, of how my older cat will react. She's my baby, and I want to make sure she won't stress herself to illness or something. I have a kennel for the dog to stay in the living room, and I can easily close off the laundry room/bedroom for my cat (where her food and litterbox are).

Since I do have a senior cat, should I hold off on adopting? Or if I do adopt, should I go for a puppy (easier for the cat to adjust/train) or an already-trained older dog (I'm looking for medium-size, and I'm afraid a fully grown dog will scare my cat more)? I love my cat, but I also would love to have a dog, I've always wanted one. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Its hard to say,I have a cat that tolerates my dog more then one of my cats.
Cats will normally pout at first,and you want to make sure the cat has its own spaces away from the dog.
A calmer dog that leaves her alone would likely be best,a puppy may actually annoy and even scare a cat worse. I found cats having a easier adjusting time to my old Newfie mix then other dogs.

If you do hold off it will likely be awhile before you get one,sense cats generally live 15-17 years old.
I think it can work out,it may take months for the cat to adapt,but a test run with a new dog that's at least a week will help to see if the cat improves even a tiny bit after the first four days. If the cat improves,as in willing to come out more in the open,it will likely improve even more so. If not,and especially if it gets worse,then it would be good to wait.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I know a 25 year old cat... just saying :)

I would suggest looking into a breed with less prey drive. What breeds are you interested in. I think if you are financially in the right place and are ready for a dog, start contacting rescue groups that have foster homes. You can ask specifically for fosters that have cats that the dog is fine with.

I would suggest an adult, but that's only my preference. My dog has high prey drive, but is trained not to bother cats. I think she would chase them outdoors though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its hard to say,I have a cat that tolerates my dog more then one of my cats.
Cats will normally pout at first,and you want to make sure the cat has its own spaces away from the dog.
A calmer dog that leaves her alone would likely be best,a puppy may actually annoy and even scare a cat worse. I found cats having a easier adjusting time to my old Newfie mix then other dogs.

If you do hold off it will likely be awhile before you get one,sense cats generally live 15-17 years old.
I think it can work out,it may take months for the cat to adapt,but a test run with a new dog that's at least a week will help to see if the cat improves even a tiny bit after the first four days. If the cat improves,as in willing to come out more in the open,it will likely improve even more so. If not,and especially if it gets worse,then it would be good to wait.
Thanks! I'm going to the humane society today to see if they have any calmer dogs, I'll be sure to watch carefully to see how Kitty reacts in the beginning.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know a 25 year old cat... just saying :)

I would suggest looking into a breed with less prey drive. What breeds are you interested in. I think if you are financially in the right place and are ready for a dog, start contacting rescue groups that have foster homes. You can ask specifically for fosters that have cats that the dog is fine with.

I would suggest an adult, but that's only my preference. My dog has high prey drive, but is trained not to bother cats. I think she would chase them outdoors though.
I'm not picky, breed-wise, though I will be sure to look out for one with low prey drive! And Kitty is inside only, so luckily I don't have to worry about chasing outdoors. Thank you for your input!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
All I can tell you is my story.

I have had nothing but cats for 30 years. My last cat was very special, and I nursed him through kidney failure for 7 years--he lived to be 19 years old. The last two years were very tough, dealing with his illness. About ten years ago, I met my first Papillon and wanted to get one and do agility training with it. But between my situation (single and working full time), and having a cat that I knew disliked dogs intensely, I did not get a dog. I was afraid that my cat would be miserable, and probably run away, which would have broken my heart.

After he died, I got Yogi Bear. I do not regret waiting all those years, and I think it was the right decision. Dogs are a lot more work than cats, and I can't imagine trying to coordinate both at this time. Only you have an idea of how your cat would react, and your reasons for getting a dog, but think long and hard about how you go about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts