Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
Our dog (a short-haired border collie) is really old (16). He can only hear super high-pitched screams; i.e. we can come home and hang out for a few minutes before (I assume) he smells us. He has arthritis and gets skinnier by the day as he cannot move for exercise. Lately he's been standing and just watching nothing. Like, he can stand and look at a wall for 5 minutes. Like when humans blank out. Maybe he does too, idk. But he didn't used to. I've noticed he can't see as well as before (he can't differentiate a dog from a purse) and then a few days ago, the white of his left eye takes over when he looks towards the left without moving his head. We're calling it his demon eye. It looks kinda like when someone is possessed in a movie. But just on the one eye.

So I've been thinking to myself: Since dogs know some stuff, like a sixth sense (like, when their owner feels threatened or when a storm's incoming or probably more stuff), couldn't it be then, that he might know that he's turning blind? Like, first his sight went a bit and now he has this demon eye. Maybe he just stares at a wall or out into nothing because he knows he won't be able to anymore in not too long. Or maybe he feels like his time is coming (bc he's 16) so he just wants to feel alive before... not. But also, sometimes, he puts his paws forward and raises his tush skyward, assuming a playful stance. Though he doesn't have the strength to play for more than a few minutes as opposed to the hours he could keep at it in his younger years. But still, that makes me think that he wants to be alive. But then again, I've heard that dogs do some stuff to please their masters. Like playing ball even if they're tired bc they think that's what we want. Maybe he keeps fighting to stay alive bc he thinks that's what we want. And we do want that. But not if he's in pain. We've thought about putting him down to ease his suffering (no selfish reasons = we're not rich but we'd be happy to pay to have him around longer as long as it's what's best for him).

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
Hi everyone!
Our dog (a short-haired border collie) is really old (16). He can only hear super high-pitched screams; i.e. we can come home and hang out for a few minutes before (I assume) he smells us. He has arthritis and gets skinnier by the day as he cannot move for exercise. Lately he's been standing and just watching nothing. Like, he can stand and look at a wall for 5 minutes. Like when humans blank out. Maybe he does too, idk. But he didn't used to. I've noticed he can't see as well as before (he can't differentiate a dog from a purse) and then a few days ago, the white of his left eye takes over when he looks towards the left without moving his head. We're calling it his demon eye. It looks kinda like when someone is possessed in a movie. But just on the one eye.

So I've been thinking to myself: Since dogs know some stuff, like a sixth sense (like, when their owner feels threatened or when a storm's incoming or probably more stuff), couldn't it be then, that he might know that he's turning blind? Like, first his sight went a bit and now he has this demon eye. Maybe he just stares at a wall or out into nothing because he knows he won't be able to anymore in not too long. Or maybe he feels like his time is coming (bc he's 16) so he just wants to feel alive before... not. But also, sometimes, he puts his paws forward and raises his tush skyward, assuming a playful stance. Though he doesn't have the strength to play for more than a few minutes as opposed to the hours he could keep at it in his younger years. But still, that makes me think that he wants to be alive. But then again, I've heard that dogs do some stuff to please their masters. Like playing ball even if they're tired bc they think that's what we want. Maybe he keeps fighting to stay alive bc he thinks that's what we want. And we do want that. But not if he's in pain. We've thought about putting him down to ease his suffering (no selfish reasons = we're not rich but we'd be happy to pay to have him around longer as long as it's what's best for him).

Any suggestions?
Get him to the vet for a check up.

Staring at the wall could be a sign of doggie dementia. It certainly isn't because he "knows he won't be able to see anymore soon"

Whale eye (seeing the whites of the eyes) is a sign of fear - which could be due to his sight loss.

Reactions: Buzzu2

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sorry to hear this..I had to put my 14.5 yr old BC to sleep last December and it still hurts today. She was my heart dog, and is sorely missed..in spite of my having 3 others.
I wanted one more day, but it was almost New yrs and the vet would have been closed. There was no chance that I would ever see her suffer, so I did what I had to in her interest..not my own. She was very healthy until she hit 14 and then things began to get bad.

The old saying "better a week early than a day late" was what I used to help with the decision.

·
Registered
676 Posts
My old girl took a couple seisures that left her eye wondering. Vet said it was related to a part In the brain. Not saying it's seisure, but could be something else neurological (going with the staring at walls). Just saying what happened to my girl, I would certainly make an appointment with the vet to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Your dog needs a vet check. Its no good guessing get a professional check up and they can tell you more. Only then can you make fully informed descions about her future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts