Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm in upstate NY and its finally starting to get cold here (and snow!). My two Aussies (two years old and almost six months) are constantly wanting to go in and out. I have a very large, fenced in backyard with a fairly sheltered shed attached to it that they have free access to. During the summer, I let them be outside most of the day, but I'm wondering if they will get cold, even inside the shed, if they stay outside for 2,3, or even 4 hours when it's in the 20's and 30's.

I work from home, so I can check up on them as needed, but the puppy gets into trouble (chewing) inside when I can't keep my eye on her. I hate to crate her while I'm working. I'd rather her at least be able to run around outside or hang out in the shed instead of being bored in her crate.

Does anyone else let their dogs spend an extended amount of time outside during the winter?

·
Super Moderator
4,351 Posts
I wouldn't because there are more cases popping up of neighbors poisoning dogs. We've had several cases out here and the most recent one was rat poison that was put into garlic bread. I would never leave my dogs unattended outside. You just never know what's going to happen if you're not watching them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I live in the country, with the nearest neighbors being about a mile away on either side. My dogs bark LOUDLY at everything, so I don't really worry about leaving them unattended because I can always hear them barking from anywhere in the house. Lol.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You're home, right? Then yes. They can ask to come? You can check on them to see if they're cold? Then yes.
They'll likely develop a thicker coat. My parents dog got to go out whenever she liked and she would swim in winter (ice & snow) and not get cold.
My last dog, also a shepherd, only got out with me for walks, and she needed sweaters on the coldest days.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My parent's German Shepard wanted to be outside at all times, and even as she got older she'd lay down on her waterproof pad on the porch watching everything. Let your animals be your guide. If you're home and they want to be out, then let them stay out. No need to make them miserable because "thats the way to do things now"

·
Registered
502 Posts
I don't think that should be an issue at all. Especially if they want to be outside. Most dogs are fairly tough about the cold, and aussie's have good coats. My dogs stay outside all day unless it's under 20 degrees or so and 2 of the 3 are short haired. Some dogs really like being outside, cold or not. As long as it's safe, I say let them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts