Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the grand Internet tradition of Friday confessions:

Have you ever sampled your dog's food or treats?

What did you think?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I've tried most of the stuff my dogs eat. Those Natural Balance food rolls aren't bad at all. And I accidentally ate a gingerbread dog treat from Petco once because it was in my training pouch and I just wasn't thinking about it being dog food..... And then I ate two more because they were actually surprisingly good. Which means probably too much sugar to be good for my dogs, so we stopped buying them.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
69 Posts
I actually always try my pet's food, I know it sounds weird, lol. I only feed them food that tastes right (kinda hard to explain). Kind of like I'd never feed my pet something that I find disgusting (that's not entirely true though as they often get the fat from meats and stuff, hate it, yuck).

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
My brother dared me to eat cat food when I was a kid, which was pretty nasty, so I'll pass on dog food LOL.

I did bite a nylabone on the suspicion that that 'flavouring' is just a load of crap. And yep, it tasted like plastic and nothing else (The Chicken Durachew ones).

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I've tasted some of their food or treats at times. Milkbones are pretty bland and gritty. Zukes training treats smell better than they taste.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Someone convinced me chocolate whoppers were dog food when I was little. I love them now...but it took a bit to get me to eat them.

I've sampled a few treats and any homemade ones that are not meat-based. I normally hate them, which is good because it means there's very little sugar if any at all. I try all her salmon treats though...I wish they tasted more like they smelled. :( And my dog pb cookies are fantastic. Shared the recipe on the dog recipes section a while back. I ate more than she did....><.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
nope never have done that! i know i didnt like smell of acana pacifica so strong at times! dog food smells intresting!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yes , I have on many occasions . If the food has a funky smell sometimes I will taste it .. Sometimes I just want to see what it tastes like .
My husband thinks I am crazy , Maybe I am ...

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
My brother dared me to eat cat food when I was a kid, which was pretty nasty, so I'll pass on dog food LOL.

I did bite a nylabone on the suspicion that that 'flavouring' is just a load of crap. And yep, it tasted like plastic and nothing else (The Chicken Durachew ones).
Really? I'm surprised because, of all the Nylabones Merlin has had, with the exception of the edible ones), the chicken durachew is his favorite. I just assumed it had to do with the flavor.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The vet's at my work say that research suggests dogs don't taste, they smell and can feel texture but they don't have the tastes buds that you and I do.

Back on topic: My dad also bet me to eat a beggin strip....not so good, and def not bacon. My great uncle once fed a Calgary city councillor wet dog food, saying it was pate, and my other uncle used to eat Dr. Ballard's wet food when he felt peckish; he said if it was truly good for the dogs, then it was good enough for him.

Reactions: CadenceDiscordia

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
With store bought treats I've been tempted a few times, some of the treats smell delicious, but never got the courage up to actually try them.

When I homecooked for Shadow I did learn the hard way to write his name on the freezer bag. I had cooked roast beef for me and beef and broth for him. Wrote roast beef on the freezer bag mine was in, and beef and broth on his bag, then stuck them in the freezer. Not paying much attention and having forgotten that I hadn't used up all of the beef and broth I defrosted a bag, poured it over rice and sat down to dinner. It took me a couple minutes to figure out why it tasted horrible and what possessed me to freeze what was obviously a roast beef that I'd ruined, then it dawned on me that I was eating Shadow's food.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Milkbones are pretty bland and gritty.
Is it any wonder with these ingredients
INGREDIENTS
Wheat Flour, Wheat Bran, Meat and Bone Meal, Milk, Wheat Germ, Beef Fat (Preserved with BHA), Salt, Natural Flavor, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Malted Barley Flour,

Meat and bone meal means there is probably lead in them and preserved with BHA wow. National Institute of Health, BHA in the diet has been found to consistently produce certain types of tumors in laboratory animals.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
No. Most of Katie's food and treats are meat-based (I'm vegan) or contain flour or oats (I have celiac). A friend has a dog treat company and I was really, really tempted to try her peanut butter treats as they looked and smelled very much like peanut butter shortbread.

·
Registered
439 Posts
My mom used to carry milkbones in her pockets for the dogs, sometimes there were just crumbs and they looked like cookies, so yes I had some - I agree, the milkbones taste bland.

My son tried the Royal Canin wet gastro food once after the vet said that at the vet school they had to eat some of that to pass initiation. He said it wasn't bad - I wouldn't eat that.

The dog's salmon treats that I made I tried (just salmon, egg & flour) they were okay, they smell so much more than they taste.

I brought in some chicken jerky to work for a co-worker and she left it on the kitchen table and her hubby tried it thinking it was beef jerky - he said it was good... I won't eat their kibble - I don't want doggy breath

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I've tried one of Grem's kibbles before -- it was a really crappy brand, and it tasted like gritty cardboard. No wonder he didn't like it.

And when I was seven, I ate a chinchilla treat. Someone handed it to me to feed to a friend's chinchilla, and I thought it was for me. I then proceeded to eat a few more because they were actually really good.

Reactions: Kwenami
1 - 20 of 36 Posts