Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a wonderful loving family with a great home and garden for my beautiful fur-baby 18 months Scotty-Poo Bon whom I adore with all my heart and she is the perfect little mate with zero (almost) behaviour issues. We have not spent a day apart at all for the past 18 months.

I made this decision because I have to go back to full-time work and the decision was for her not me. I am crying as I type this.
I am bereft actually and need to stay focused and busy to get through this.

We know dogs live in the moment and I'm happy to know that Bon will be loved and given proper care including two walks a day rain hail or shine. I'm happy for the family too who lost their beloved dog 6 weeks ago.

My question is...down the track, say next summer when they've all become settled etc, is there any harm in me seeing her again, either at the park or in their home where we spent several hours during two visits together before I left her there playing and having fun. I know they will provide for her security, discipline and love with bells on.

She is an intelligent well-balanced pup. I'd like to think that there would be no harm for her mentally or otherwise, in either location, dependant upon the new keepers. I know she will remember me and probably go a bit berserk as they do, but then she will go back to her new life no problem.

Please tell me we could still be friends!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Whether or not she would be better off with another family depends a lot on how attached she is to you. If she's very devoted to you and shows anxiety if she's away from you then she'd probably be a lot happier staying with you even if you do work. A great many people work full time and can still be very good pet parents. They also tend to work full time while raising kids and I've heard that can work out too....

·
Registered
252 Posts
Is the family open to you visiting? I took in my parent's dog. She was really excited when my dad came over and thought she was going with him. She settled down after he left. (He did not visit often). My thought is that your dog would be fine

Are you sure you can't keep the dog. Could you hire a dogwalker if needed?

I work part-time but the days I work, my dog is alone for about 6 hours. I don't have anyone check on him and he is fine.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
It's gone well for the people that gave us pepper.

Probably worth trying it and ask the new guardians to let you know if it causes her significant distress once you leave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts