Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been 5 days since we got out new baby basset. So far everything is going really good excpet house breaking. Here is what we are doing with him right now

-he is one a feed schudual and goes out half hour and one hour after eating and drinking
-I take him outside every hour and half
-I don't smack him for going in the house
-Priase him for going outside (He doesn't take treats, so I tell him goodboy and give him a pet)
-at night he is in the mud room, where he messes.

During the day he never poops inside (at night he usually does once) but he pee's constantly. I can take him outside he will pee come in and pee again (just a very small amount, a few drops)

What am I doing wrong? Why can't I get him to stop peeing in the house? Should I lock him in a smaller area at night so that he won't mess?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
likely doing nothing wrong...its a young puppy and its only been 5 days.

how long does it take to potty train a human toddler? ;)

keep it up and give it more time, hes a baby :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
557 Posts
First of all limit the area the puppy is exposed too. When I get a new puppy, basically the puppy is in the kitchen and since the dinning room in this house is right next to it, that is the next step. Let the puppy feel comfortable in that area of keeping " the den area clean" instinct. With all these rooms in this house main floor, each room is added after months of reliable behavior from the other rooms, and even then only after potty outside just recently so I know it should not be predicatable.
Remember a puppy does not see a room as a place it can not go. Take progressions very slowly(!) in opening access to other rooms. Remember a puppy can only "hold it" for one hour for every month old. So a 8 week old the max is two hours if the puppy is up and around. Potty outside after waking up, after eating and mid play.
And my favorite quoted line is this " when a puppy misbehaves ( potty, chewing things up etc..) take a newpaper, roll it up- apply ruber bands on both ends- then smack YOURSELF on the head as you should have been watching the puppy" is the mentality ..
Another thing- your puppy may feel intimindated if you make a big deal in potty outside.. Try this- take puppy outside on a lead. You exhale slowly and gently, and look away ( this is dog language for I am ignoring you and expect nothing from you, so relax). When puppy goes potty, I use gently quietly " hurry up.. hurrrrry up" slow and relaxed in tone of voice.. Then walk back in the house and then offer a treat. Believe me - it wont take long for a basset puppy to take a treat. You just offer, and leave the treat where it is as again- its yours- I will not take it from you..
Oh and lastly- I LOVE PICTURES OF A BASSET HOUND PUPPY! PLEASE post them for me would you?

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
First of all limit the area the puppy is exposed too. When I get a new puppy, basically the puppy is in the kitchen and since the dinning room in this house is right next to it, that is the next step. Let the puppy feel comfortable in that area of keeping " the den area clean" instinct. With all these rooms in this house main floor, each room is added after months of reliable behavior from the other rooms, and even then only after potty outside just recently so I know it should not be predicatable.
Remember a puppy does not see a room as a place it can not go. Take progressions very slowly(!) in opening access to other rooms. Remember a puppy can only "hold it" for one hour for every month old. So a 8 week old the max is two hours if the puppy is up and around. Potty outside after waking up, after eating and mid play.
And my favorite quoted line is this " when a puppy misbehaves ( potty, chewing things up etc..) take a newpaper, roll it up- apply ruber bands on both ends- then smack YOURSELF on the head as you should have been watching the puppy" is the mentality ..
Another thing- your puppy may feel intimindated if you make a big deal in potty outside.. Try this- take puppy outside on a lead. You exhale slowly and gently, and look away ( this is dog language for I am ignoring you and expect nothing from you, so relax). When puppy goes potty, I use gently quietly " hurry up.. hurrrrry up" slow and relaxed in tone of voice.. Then walk back in the house and then offer a treat. Believe me - it wont take long for a basset puppy to take a treat. You just offer, and leave the treat where it is as again- its yours- I will not take it from you..
Oh and lastly- I LOVE PICTURES OF A BASSET HOUND PUPPY! PLEASE post them for me would you?
lol...i agree!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts