Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have such mixed emotions about dog parks. They can be so good, and all of a sudden, terrible. I'm super lucky that there is a local dog park, with a bunch of amazing dogs. We meet up there a few nights a week, everyone watches their dogs, and reacts accordingly, so I don't stress about it. What I also like is that there is a good variety of dogs, Levi gets to play with: An English Mastiff named Sasha (9 months), a Pit-mix named Max (about a year), a really cute little Corgi mix named Bentley, and a Boxer named Shelby.

Well, dog parks are public, so the other day a dog came in. His person said he was a Border Collie/Red Heeler/Husky mix. He was chasing Levi and barking right in his face, and said that it was very typical because that's what herding breeds do. (Well, not my Aussie but I didn't bother engaging in that). He was annoying Levi, so we went to the other side of the park to play Frisbee, and Levi played with Bentley.

At one point, that dog came over and also wanted to play frisbee. I threw it, and I don't know if Levi nipped at him, or if he was just too close, and this guy RG toys a little, but he turned and flipped out on Levi to the point where Levi showed his teeth, which I have seen him do three times in almost a year. No response from the owner, and Ben and I packed up Levi and left.

We were brushing him that night (Aussie fur and dog spit is just a recipe for mats...) and he shifted away from us, so we parted his fur, and he had a puncture mark! So that bite was a little more serious than we thought. We weren't able to go to our regular vet, so we had to go an emergency vet.

It was super busy, so we were in the very small waiting room for a bit. A lady came in with her two dogs, a Doodle and a Poodle. They needed her to weigh the dogs, and we happened to be sitting near the scale. Levi was being incredibly good and was in a relaxed down-stay. The lady let her Poodle come over to say hello to Levi, and she also snapped and tried to bite his face. That resulted in the lady screaming in her dog's face, and clamping her hand around the dog's muzzle. Uncomfortable experience for everyone involved.

We finally got into see the vet, and they had to shave him and now he's on a course of antibiotics. They also told us to keep him out of water/puddles which meant we couldn't go to the beach like we had planned, so that was a bummer. It was cheaper than I thought, like 120 bucks, which was good because emergency vets can be pretty pricey.

All in all, not a great week for my poor baby. So now if that guy shows up again, we are either not going to enter, or leave right away. Levi loves dogs, and I don't want to have that be ruined. :(

One a side note, while at the vet clinic he met a kitten named "Little Boss" and just wanted to love up on him, which is cute, because he's never seen cats before. I'm sure if that kitten had run, it might have been a different story.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your poor doggie. I would definitely watch out for the other dog from now on. We don't have a dog park near where I live so the only socialization our dogs get is from each other. I hope that he isn't there next time you go.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Well, dog parks are public, so the other day a dog came in. His person said he was a Border Collie/Red Heeler/Husky mix. He was chasing Levi and barking right in his face, and said that it was very typical because that's what herding breeds do. (Well, not my Aussie but I didn't bother engaging in that). He was annoying Levi, so we went to the other side of the park to play Frisbee, and Levi played with Bentley.
Yeah, that's not appropriate play at all, that's pretty rude. If that man refused to control his dog, I would have just left at that point. Poor Levi!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Oh god he didn't half get caught! Sorry this happened to him!

I am so glad we don't have dog parks here in the UK, they would be complete chaos. If you see that dog coming again just leave, try and see if there's anywhere nearby like a field you could rent for an hour with the dogs you know are friendly, we have a place like that nearby and I'll be utilising it soon for when I start walking groups of dogs :)

Reactions: JudyG

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Oh boo! Poor Levi. Honestly, that is exactly the reason that I stopped taking my dogs to dog parks. Too many people brush off their dogs behavior as being something other then what it is. Roxie my lab is VERY submissive in dog parks and will spend the entire time flipped over on her back if I don't constantly intervene, and the most OBNOXIOUS thing to her from an owner as I am pulling their dog off mine is 'Oh they are just being dogs'.

Poor Levi. I hope it heals up fast! How big of a spot did they have to shave?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We thought we would head there last night (at our usual time) and the whole gang was there. I found Levi started out way too rough, so he was put on a time-out until he could play nicely, but quickly got back into his nice play. I was able to talk to the other owners about the dog, and they all felt bad for Levi and agreed we'd all watch out for that dog. Luckily, he didn't show and all the dogs left happy, slobbery, and tired. @revolutionrocknroll It was so annoying. Imagine having someone follow you around and yell in your face. Obnoxious. I wish we would have left, but I was dumb. @BusterBCsMum Just yesterday I found one near us that rents a field. It seems fairly inexpensive, I think 25/hour. I'm going to mention it to the group next time I'm there. It would be nice if there was some interest, but even if there isn't, it sounds like a great way for us to spend one or two Saturdays a month. @jclark343 I hate that so much. "They'll work it out" is another pet peeve of mine. His shaved spot is probably about 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches. It's not huge, and the fur on top almost covers it. Hopefully the regrowth won't be too messed up when it grows back in, but if so, he's still pretty cute.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Oh that's good! At least his coat pretty much covers it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am REALLY sorry that happened to your dog. I haven't been to the dog park in a month and I must say, I don't miss it. It's a great concept..but there are far too many dogs that have no business being there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts