Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sigh. Why must you torment the dogs so? At least I can send Remy after you to chase you out of the years and she can be called off so easily. Lucy on the other hand... Poor girl isn't advanced enough for safe clearing the yard of deer.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Aww why do you want to get rid of them? I would be tossing veggies out to them! :D

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol. No. No I do not want them to stay. :)

There are actually signs on both ends of town saying not to feed the deer. Since we are a ski town, there is a fair amount of tourists that don't know better. The truth is, the deer don't even run when you scare then off. They are becoming very aggressive and attacking dogs and charging people. They are Mule deer too, so they can be BIG!

I think they are beautiful in the wild, but there are soooooo many in town it's sad. They're really chubby too.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Ah ok I understand.. I dont let Niko chase deer since I am afraid one would turn on him but they still run from us... We get one in the back yard MAYBE once a year? None so far this year...

2 years ago there was a baby (mom left it to forage prolly) in our yard under the bird feeders. Didnt notice it till Niko went into "stalker dog mode". I followed it around the neighborhood waiting for its mom it find it and trying to "herd" back to my yard so its mom would find it where she left it. It finally ditched me though. Hope its mom found it.. :(

SO... you live in this town huh?? j/k

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Its illegal here for dogs to chase deer, so as much as Apollo would like to run them off I can't let him. The law was written to keep hunters from using dogs to harry the deer, but the way its written it can be (and has been) used to go after a dog owner who had a deer jump into a fenced in yard where it was attacked by the dog. The law is written to be a literal shoot on site order if the dog is caught chasing deer :( Thankfully ours are more skittish than yours so all he has to do is bark and they're gone!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
That's crazy you have muleys in town! I've only seen them a couple times on trips out west, here we only have whitetails :( But every time I saw muleys it was out in some vast expanse of wilderness, those pics of them in town are too cool!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Lol. No. No I do not want them to stay. :)

There are actually signs on both ends of town saying not to feed the deer. Since we are a ski town, there is a fair amount of tourists that don't know better. The truth is, the deer don't even run when you scare then off. They are becoming very aggressive and attacking dogs and charging people. They are Mule deer too, so they can be BIG!

I think they are beautiful in the wild, but there are soooooo many in town it's sad. They're really chubby too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Very true, just like a moose or a bear even, they are very pretty but you have to respect them, antlers are there for a reason

That's crazy you have muleys in town! I've only seen them a couple times on trips out west, here we only have whitetails :( But every time I saw muleys it was out in some vast expanse of wilderness, those pics of them in town are too cool!
Yeah where I am we only have whitetail, but I worked in Grande Prairie, Ab for a while and did a lot of work in Dawson Creek, BC and out there as far as deer go I saw lots of muleys even in town.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Its illegal here for dogs to chase deer, so as much as Apollo would like to run them off I can't let him. The law was written to keep hunters from using dogs to harry the deer, but the way its written it can be (and has been) used to go after a dog owner who had a deer jump into a fenced in yard where it was attacked by the dog. The law is written to be a literal shoot on site order if the dog is caught chasing deer :( Thankfully ours are more skittish than yours so all he has to do is bark and they're gone!
Same here in NJ, if your dog is caught chasing deer, they are allowed to shoot them on the spot.
I'm always super careful not to let that happen.
BUt it seems to be OK that they poach deer at night with their spot lights, and bang, bang, bang.:(

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are far fewer bucks in town than does so there really aren't very many!, People do shred hunt around here though. I have one sun bleached whitetail antler that is gorgeous. Whenever I find them, they are rotten :( I saw this big bull elk a friend shot the other day and the rack is MASSIVE. I have found a few moose antlers, but those rot really easily.

I love deer, but in town they are a big pain. You can't even think about growing food in your yard without a heavy duty elk sized fence (8-10ft).

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
This is just about the time of year young bucks start acting really strange...the rut here starts in prob a week or two but I bet its almost on in colder northern climates. I came across a young spike horned buck in the woods during the rut last year. Instead of running away he started snorting at me and stamping his feet! Stupid me was standing there with no deer tag too...

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
.We have the herds gathering here in my back yard, and a coupl NJ, I've counted 8 so far. A couple of years ago, we must have had the deer reunion here for the state, never saw so many at one time, but no bucks.
I've only seen a buck 2 times with impressive racks.

·
Registered
345 Posts
We have a family of deer that roams the 6 blocks or so around our part of the town-- it used to be a bunch of farms, but I guess the deer haven't noticed the city that sprung up around them.

Anyway, I took AJ out to potty the other day and one of the does was hanging out in the back. She took off when she saw us, but Applejack completely forgot about going potty. She was to focused trying to figure out what it was and where it had gone. Had to completely give up on that potty run.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha, Lucy isn't at the point where I can call her off of deer yet. I worry about the Border Collie in her getting too close to the deer. Remy just charges them out of the yard and then stops. I live in a very small town and there is a "Urban Deer Advisory Committee". You can walk like 4ft past them and they don't move. they just chill.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts