Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the place where I live I find that there is a problem where people walk their untrained dogs off leash, this causes a lot of havoc with dogs constantly running everywhere or attacking other dogs, I find that this is also a problem for people who want to go for a walk, because on days where there is a large number of dogs of leash, it's nearly impossible not to get knocked over by a large dog every once in a while:eek: Anyway, what's you're opinion on this?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Funny thing I just posted a video earlier today on my instagram about this.

I walk to a nearby park for training and a lot of people take their dogs off leash there. Their dogs always come sprinting up to Aayla (who is on leash) and try to play. Its not fair to Aayla who ends up choking herself out. Teaching Aayla to ignore other dogs is hard when they come running up and jumping on her and rewarding her for playing.

I do my best to go at off hours but I'm not always lucky.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally get what you feel, I find that is very irritating, going off hours is a good idea though:p

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's not too bad in my area but there are a few bad apples unfortunately. The worse being a mum with about 5 young kids that she can't control let alone her 3 poodle types that just run ahead of her. 'It's ok though they are friendly' -_-. I'm honestly surprised they havn't been killed yet as there are quite a few dog aggressive dogs in my area.

I have a dog that has problems with becoming very overstimulated so only gets to meet dogs when he's calm and the other dog is calm.
He's doing very well slowly making progress. Everytime an off leash dog approaches him to play though he becomes extremely over excited and his training goes back.

I think people are just not mindfull of other peoples situation. Their dog is friendly but at the end of the day it's out of control and a risk. What if their dog approached a Dog aggressive dog. It's not the other dogs fault that he's scared of dogs. Or maybe a puppy who's scared and only met a handful of other dogs. Or even people, my mum is terrified of boarder collies and freaked out once because 2 approached us owner no where in sight.

There are so many things that can go wrong that these people don't think about. They think just because their dog is friendly that it absolves them of all responsibility.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not too bad in my area but there are a few bad apples unfortunately. The worse being a mum with about 5 young kids that she can't control let alone her 3 poodle types that just run ahead of her. 'It's ok though they are friendly' -_-. I'm honestly surprised they havn't been killed yet as there are quite a few dog aggressive dogs in my area.

I have a dog that has problems with becoming very overstimulated so only gets to meet dogs when he's calm and the other dog is calm.
He's doing very well slowly making progress. Everytime an off leash dog approaches him to play though he becomes extremely over excited and his training goes back.

I think people are just not mindfull of other peoples situation. Their dog is friendly but at the end of the day it's out of control and a risk. What if their dog approached a Dog aggressive dog. It's not the other dogs fault that he's scared of dogs. Or maybe a puppy who's scared and only met a handful of other dogs. Or even people, my mum is terrified of boarder collies and freaked out once because 2 approached us owner no where in sight.

There are so many things that can go wrong that these people don't think about. They think just because their dog is friendly that it absolves them of all responsibility.
I agree with you absolutely, these people who just let their dogs run wild aren't being responsible and don't think about the fact the people could get hurt:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Both my guys are very friendly, but we are in a constant battle with off-leash dogs. I swear, as soon as I get them walking nicely, someone's dog comes bounding up, and all hell breaks loose.

"They're super friendly!" Cool so are mine, but I don't let them run up to strangers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both my guys are very friendly, but we are in a constant battle with off-leash dogs. I swear, as soon as I get them walking nicely, someone's dog comes bounding up, and all hell breaks loose.

"They're super friendly!" Cool so are mine, but I don't let them run up to strangers.
It's just so irritating, just when you get your dog well behaved, some off leash dog comes bounding by causes so much havoc, while the owner is no where to be seen, it's just so irresponsible :eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Off leash dogs are illegal here but two dogs came from behind an open gate and attacked my Beagle, Joe, who died eleven days later. I hope owners will not let their dogs out unless they are within a closed fence. (Joe was on leash with me when he was attacked)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Off leash dogs are illegal here but two dogs came from behind an open gate and attacked my Beagle, Joe, who died eleven days later. I hope owners will not let their dogs out unless they are within a closed fence. (Joe was on leash with me when he was attacked)
Wow that is so sad:(, this is just another one of the reasons that off leashed dogs can be such a huge problem especially if they are agressive:eek:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't have a problem with off leash dogs, as long as they are friendly. In fact, seeing off leash dogs motivates me to train our dog better to ignore other dogs when he is on the leash. Right now, he still gets too excited....

I lived in Berlin for a little while, and many dogs there were actually off leash and used to walking with their owners down city streets off leash. Dogs in general are trained well and most importantly, super socialized, because owners can take their dogs anywhere, including restaurants and malls.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My mom's dog Sophie is fear aggressive and she does not like strange dog's or people approaching her. I have to constantly yell at people to please recall their dog's who are off leash. Many times sadly the owners have no control over their dog's and I end up trying to stand between the off leash dog's and my mom's dog's. Most owners yell back to me about how friendly the dog's are and that I have nothing to worry about. When I tell them that my dog is not friendly I usually receive dirty looks but a few times I have been verbally attacked!

My dog Rocky also gets over stimulated when we meet people and other dog's on the trail. He does really good with passing other dog's on leash but when a loose dog runs up and wants to play he goes crazy and I spend the next twenty minutes calming him down. It sets us back in our training and really makes me want to give their owners a talking to!!

I really don't mind loose dog's if they are TRAINED! Sadly most people in my area don't bother with training and so long as their dog is friendly, they have no problem letting their dog's loose. It's very annoying.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My mom's dog Sophie is fear aggressive and she does not like strange dog's or people approaching her. I have to constantly yell at people to please recall their dog's who are off leash. Many times sadly the owners have no control over their dog's and I end up trying to stand between the off leash dog's and my mom's dog's. Most owners yell back to me about how friendly the dog's are and that I have nothing to worry about. When I tell them that my dog is not friendly I usually receive dirty looks but a few times I have been verbally attacked!

My dog Rocky also gets over stimulated when we meet people and other dog's on the trail. He does really good with passing other dog's on leash but when a loose dog runs up and wants to play he goes crazy and I spend the next twenty minutes calming him down. It sets us back in our training and really makes me want to give their owners a talking to!!

I really don't mind loose dog's if they are TRAINED! Sadly most people in my area don't bother with training and so long as their dog is friendly, they have no problem letting their dog's loose. It's very annoying.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Wow, this must be very frustrating for you, I hate it that people let their dogs loose when they have no control over them whatsoever:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
I can so understand how everyone else here feels. I live in a very small town, and while I don't normally have problems with these dogs that are let loose, (almost all of them I know by name and like) I have one dog that I walk, (not my dog, belongs to someone I dog sit and walk for) who is dog reactive toward dogs he doesn't know and also becomes so frustrated when he can't get to the other dog that he will bite just about anything near him, (yes including people) he has bit me a few times before I learned what was setting him off, thankfully none of the bites broke skin.

There is this one house that I pass while walking, I don't always have problems with these people which is why I still walk by there, though after what happened I do avoid that area more than before. They have a female Pit type dog and two little rats dogs that they insist on letting loose even though they have no control over them.

I remember I was walking with 3 dogs, (one being the reactive dog) and as I came toward the house out of nowhere the three dogs burst out of the open door and come charging at us full speed. The reactive dog starts in first and the others quickly follow into barking and growling. One of the dogs I am walking, who is very scared of other dogs she doesn't know is trying to run and manages to break free from the leash, she goes taking off being chased full speed by the pit mix, meanwhile the other two dogs that I still have hold of are barking and snarling at the two little rats which are now running around us barking, I am sitting here trying to keep a fight from starting between the reactive one along with trying to prevent him from biting me, or out of frustration attacking the other dog I am walking, (who lives with the reactive one by the way, so they rarely have issues with each other), then to make everything worse the owner of the dogs comes running out of the house screaming at her dogs trying to get them to come back to her, but of course they don't listen, so then she just about runs up to where I'm standing with my dogs and stands in between me and the little rats while screaming at the pit mix to get the heck back here and stop trying to chase my dog who is by this time about to go out of sight, well amazingly the pit actually listens just long enough for it to stop chasing and come back, then the lady starts yelling at the little rats that are still running around us, then finally she gets them all under control and drags them back to her own house after apologizing to me again and again for letting that happen.. I just stand there for a moment after she has disappeared back into her own house trying to calm the two dogs that I am holding, and calm myself. I wasn't too worried about the other dog that got away from me because I knew she would be sitting on my front porch waiting for my return, but as soon as I could I walked back home and found her there just as I knew I would, poor dog was terrified to walk past that house for at least 2 months after, but thankfully I can walk past there with her now and she's perfectly fine.

This was by far the craziest happening I have ever had with another dog, and I can't say I'm sorry either! I just wish people would control their dogs!

Reactions: TrampolineBoxer

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can so understand how everyone else here feels. I live in a very small town, and while I don't normally have problems with these dogs that are let loose, (almost all of them I know by name and like) I have one dog that I walk, (not my dog, belongs to someone I dog sit and walk for) who is dog reactive toward dogs he doesn't know and also becomes so frustrated when he can't get to the other dog that he will bite just about anything near him, (yes including people) he has bit me a few times before I learned what was setting him off, thankfully none of the bites broke skin.

There is this one house that I pass while walking, I don't always have problems with these people which is why I still walk by there, though after what happened I do avoid that area more than before. They have a female Pit type dog and two little rats dogs that they insist on letting loose even though they have no control over them.

I remember I was walking with 3 dogs, (one being the reactive dog) and as I came toward the house out of nowhere the three dogs burst out of the open door and come charging at us full speed. The reactive dog starts in first and the others quickly follow into barking and growling. One of the dogs I am walking, who is very scared of other dogs she doesn't know is trying to run and manages to break free from the leash, she goes taking off being chased full speed by the pit mix, meanwhile the other two dogs that I still have hold of are barking and snarling at the two little rats which are now running around us barking, I am sitting here trying to keep a fight from starting between the reactive one along with trying to prevent him from biting me, or out of frustration attacking the other dog I am walking, (who lives with the reactive one by the way, so they rarely have issues with each other), then to make everything worse the owner of the dogs comes running out of the house screaming at her dogs trying to get them to come back to her, but of course they don't listen, so then she just about runs up to where I'm standing with my dogs and stands in between me and the little rats while screaming at the pit mix to get the heck back here and stop trying to chase my dog who is by this time about to go out of sight, well amazingly the pit actually listens just long enough for it to stop chasing and come back, then the lady starts yelling at the little rats that are still running around us, then finally she gets them all under control and drags them back to her own house after apologizing to me again and again for letting that happen.. I just stand there for a moment after she has disappeared back into her own house trying to calm the two dogs that I am holding, and calm myself. I wasn't too worried about the other dog that got away from me because I knew she would be sitting on my front porch waiting for my return, but as soon as I could I walked back home and found her there just as I knew I would, poor dog was terrified to walk past that house for at least 2 months after, but thankfully I can walk past there with her now and she's perfectly fine.

This was by far the craziest happening I have ever had with another dog, and I can't say I'm sorry either! I just wish people would control their dogs!
You can't be more right:)

·
Registered
868 Posts
I need to vent and instead of starting a new thread thought I would just add to this one.

So I went to the park again thinking I was early enough to avoid the off leash people. Well I record training videos every now and then, so I was recording when an off leash dog comes bounding up and trying to play with Aayla while she cries and pulls at the leash. I move to the opposite side of the park away from them, making it clear I don't want to interact. Then more people show up and let their dogs off leash that run across the park and get Aayla all riled up. One of the owners comes over to grab her dog and said I should let Aayla off leash. I said no, I was training and their dogs were interfering. She said she wished she could train and her current trainer got bit and needed stitches....by the dog that is off leash and doesn't recall. I grabbed everything I had there and left.

On my way out one of the off leashed dogs noticed a cat, and then a horror unfolded as the dog managed to corner the cat and started attacking it. I was the closest person so I ran over and pulled the dog off of the cat. Then the whole pack of loose dogs noticed and went after the cat. I held down the one dog I had until the owner got it and ran to grab the husky that had the cat before it managed to escape over the fence. The people started to thank me for pulling THEIR loose dogs off a poor cat, I was so mad that I was shaking. I'm really unconfrontational but I snapped at them saying that was the exact reasons they needed to leash their dogs. I couldn't say anything else and stormed off with Aayla. I wanted to beat their owners.

I have no problems with dogs being off leashed, as long as they are not hurting anyone and are not a menace. I let Aayla off leash in situations I know I can control her in. She doesn't chase small animals, if she starts she will loose her off leash privileges. I don't let her go up to anyone or anything unless they ask to pet her. I felt a bit hypocritical yelling at them to keep their dogs leashed when I used to take Aayla off leash there. Yet she never chased anything or bothered anyone. She was always under my control.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
@ThatYellowDog - I always get really annoyed when I make it as obvious as possible I'm not trying to interact with anyone and people come over to play with my dogs/bring their dogs over.

I've started training in a baseball diamond in a big park not to far from our place. It's awesome and fenced in, and no one besides me is really in there. Well, a couple days ago we were working on some recalls since Heidi sucks at them, and someone came in with FOUR boxers. Training was officially over.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@ThatYellowDog - I always get really annoyed when I make it as obvious as possible I'm not trying to interact with anyone and people come over to play with my dogs/bring their dogs over.

I've started training in a baseball diamond in a big park not to far from our place. It's awesome and fenced in, and no one besides me is really in there. Well, a couple days ago we were working on some recalls since Heidi sucks at them, and someone came in with FOUR boxers. Training was officially over.
Wow, that must be really annoying, off leash dogs are terrible distractions, especially if they are not trained, when you are trying to train your dogs.:(

·
Registered
911 Posts
My dogs are friendly so I don't mind off leash dogs too much, I can see how they can cause an issue for some people and agree that you should have control of your dog if you let them off lead. I can think of two off lead encounters I had while my dogs were on lead walking.

One was years ago when Nevada was still around. My BF and I were walking them, I had the boys he had Nevy. This black dog came running down the street barking and growling. Not friendly, full out hostile. I have no doubt that the dog would have started a fight if I had only one dog. But having the three the dog stayed back, barking. The owner came to get him and got bit more than once. We turned around but wanted to continue our walk so went back towards the house the dog lives in. Before we got too far we saw the owner didn't put the dog inside, or in the fenced yard but was trying to play with him out front. The dog started to charge again and we walked home.

The other time was last year. We had the boys and Freyja out at the park walking in the woods and around the lake. I took Freyja out on the dock to desensitize her to different surfaces. She was doing well, I had her and Vegas out with me. My BF had Shorty. Where you walk out onto the dock is wooded, pretty heavily. I heard noise in the brush and saw two dogs, I couldn't tell what type, running around. I thought of crap, I'm on this dock with no escape if these dogs are aggressive. And even if they are friendly I could have easily gotten knocked into the water. Freyja was just under 100lbs at the time and still has that bouncy puppy play. The first dog I was able to ID was an English Setter, beautiful dog. I figured there had to be an owner close by because they are not common dogs around here. I was able to get off of the dock without an issue and got a look at the second dog, a Great Dane. I was angry at the owner for letting his dogs loose to run the trails out of his sight, but also excited to see another dane. The owner did show up, but it took a minute. We talked and he asked me why I didn't let my dogs run, and seemed very surprised I didn't have them off lead. I don't think he got it, even after a family with small kids came into sight the one kid was afraid of the dogs. That is one reason I don't let them off lead in busy areas. Freyja in particular is a big dog and she could hurt someone if she was to run into them or jump up. He was well meaning but it's people like him that cause issues for responsible dog owners.

Reactions: TrampolineBoxer

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't really have anything against pd leash dogs but , you need to at least have control over your dog because, if you don't they can make it really hard for the people around you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.