Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in the process of house training Missy, We have been working on it full time for 3 days and she is asking to go out, and is starting to walk to the door and stare at it.

Well...I was distracted on the net for a short bit and didn't notice that she was sitting at the back door. She walked over to the kitchen, Knocked over the storage bin that I keep the parrot toys in, and then ran to the back door. When I walked out to the kitchen to see what the heck happened, she was sitting at the back door just looking at me. I guess she couldn't hold it any longer and decided that I was not leaving my computer anytime soon.:D

To Add: Anyone who thinks that Corporal punishment is the key to house training. I never laid a hand on her, and did not use negative reinforcement. 3 days with positive reinforcement only, I think that is enough proof.;)

(Not pointing fingers at anyone, the last comment was based on a conversation I had yesterday with someone who needed help with his dog.)

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just knocked it over and then waited for me to come out and open the door. I know it was her, because Cleo was alseep on the couch with all 4 legs in the air, as usual.

She is 3 months now, but spent 2 of those three months in the shelter, never worked with by the people at the shelter.

I just thought it was cool that she did it.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
wow you have done a simply amazing job then!!!! Getting your attention IMO is great! Is she ever vocal when she needs to go out?

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is a Redbone Coonhound and probably the most vocal dog in the neighborhood, lol. I have always used a basic distract, redirect, praise method on my training of any dog. Mistakes will probably still happen, but I am extremely happy with her.:D The guy that was asking me advice was attempting to train his new pup with punishment, and fear. Expectedly, the dog was actually scared to even poop in the correct place when he was around.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Of course. Poor pup. Hopefully he took your advice and is planning on using it, clearly I would take advice from you! LOL So your pup is the one in the avatar? I am horrible, was she the one with parvo? or some other medical issue?

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep...That is my little Parvo puppy. I backed off of training until she was starting to heal. She is starting her training late but that just means she will be older them most when fully trained. Once I finish the basic stuff I will start her on tracking. That is a fun thing to do with your dogs, it is almost like a team sport that allows you to work together and actually makes me feel closer to my dogs.

LOL, I don't know if all my advice is good, dependent on my sleep level, but I know from watching the training of family pets when i was a child that the older train of thought(punishment/rubbing nose in it)with house training takes longer and sometimes traumatizes a dog.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
we held off on training our beagle mix Peyton because he was pretty ill for the first 2-3 months that we had him. They catch up quick! He does all the basics now and even does "take a bow" We want to buy a cheap agility set to put in the backyard for our guys lol

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Beagle loves to still go out with me, but her nose isn't as good these days. She is only 8, but just can't seem to keep on a trail for long. I might have mentioned this in another post, but Missy cornered a Possum in the back yard while she was still sick. Cleo walked right by it, totally oblivious. You will love agility work with your dogs. I have never really worked with mine on an agility coarse, but I am sure it will be a great time for all.:D

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
What a smart pup!!! I bet she won't have any accidents-she sounds like genius in doggie disguise!!

When Mikey wants out and we don't notice, he comes up to us, puts his head in our lap and growl/moans-it's quite funny. Well, unless it's four am. When he just wants out to goof around in the yard....

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We will see...I will be thoroughly impressed if I never find an accident again. Like I said, I just thought it was cool, it may have been just coincidence but it was definitely at the right time.:)

One incident that I think deserves a laugh is when I was working with Cleo. I was on third shift and my girlfriend was on first shift. I don't know what time it was, but the sun was up. Cleo was wining to go out, but for some reason I could hear her but could not wake up. She got out of the special section of the bed she was in (set up so I could not roll over on her), climbed on my chest, and peed all over me.

I was wide awake then, lol.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
HAA!! I totally LOL'd at that!!! TOO funny!!

"If you won't let me out, you're going to get wet!!"

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a question if you don't mind...

What do you do when you catch them messing in the house? My new basset puppy is excellent about pooping outside but seems to hold the pee until we come in. I've never given him crap when he does but I didn't spook him by accident, he was peeing and I came up behind him and pick him up real quick and took him outside (he didn't finish peeing) what would you have done in this situation?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most of the time, I watched her closely and when she showed any sign of looking for a spot I took her outside, and waited for her to go. Sometimes it took up to 20 minutes. When she did I praised. The few times she started before I could get to her, I'd clap my hands. It was enough for her to stop and I was able to redirect her outside. Also would take a while for her to start up again. For some reason all of the Hounds I have worked with want to explore every inch of their area before they actually look for a spot. Every dog I have house trained has been different. She has been the easiest by far.

In the situation you mentioned. I would wait outside with him until he finished, probably in a lawn chair drinking some Iced tea, spacing out. He will relax and let it go again. Anytime you distract a pup, it will take time for them to begin again. Time and patience is how I do it. Maybe I am just lucky, but it has worked for me with many dogs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah he really has to smell around before he does the deed! Most of the time I have lots of time to wait for him but occasionally my three year old starts screaming for me to hurry, and I have to rush in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts