Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 year old dachshund has been exhibiting some odd behavior. He is shivers slightly and acts very lethargic. He has no energy to do anything, doesn't want to go on walks or even get out of bed. All of his blood work from the vet came back normal and all of his organs are fine. He also had x-rays on his lower back and it was fine too. He has also acquired an odd snort that he does when he's lying down, but this might just be allergies. Thanks for any help!!!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
What did the vet test for? Did he do a Thyroid panel? Did he do liver enzymes (with liver problems lethargy is a symptom) What about GERD? (snorting could be acid reflux) Did you recently change dog foods, treats, laundry detergent? Do you have toxic substances like mushrooms, black walnuts, standing water with algae in your backyard?? A dog doesn't change his/her behavior for no reason...hope you get to the bottom of it; For SURE I would check liver and gall bladder problems....

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a dachshund mix and when she first started getting arthritis in her back leg she would not want to move around at all. Shivering can be a symptom of pain, too. I'd definitely look more into liver and thyroid stuff. We had a lot of tests done before finally deducing it was arthritis.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
If the pain gets really bad ask your vet about Rimadyl; our lab mix went on it and became a puppy again! It is not narcotic and it was just wonderful to see the sparkle come back in her eyes and for her to start playing again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the responses! His liver and thyroid are perfectly normal according to our vet. All of his internal organs appear to be fine, he's going back to the vet today I'll be sure to update you all.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
I don't have personal experience with back issues (thank god!) but from the research I've done IVDD is diagnosed with a neurological exam. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=diagnosing%20ivdd&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fveterinarynews.dvm360.com%2Fdvm%2Farticle%2FarticleDetail.jsp%3Fid%3D591629&ei=kIOIUJXZMZHa8wSli4CIDg&usg=AFQjCNHXIAdAyEUzn2QAVdZHAmDSJx5CNA&sig2=zUkS1su5NtyIpcCrj8j7Sw
Symtoms of IVDD include: shivering, neck/back pain and/or stiffness, lowered stance, yelping, whimpering, whining ect when picked up or moved a certain way, abdominal pain and tenderness, being hunched over, dragging legs, weakness and lameness, to name a few.
To me, any thing that could possibly mean back issues warrants a neuro exam. It sounds like some form of back problem, maybe not full blown IVDD but something along those lines

Reactions: pkelley

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Sorry, been busy at work... this screams back problem and Amanda was right to say that x-rays don't typically show much. A good physical examination should have indicated a back problem.. and I think the snorting thing is him showing pain...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to update everyone, He is feeling tremendously better now. He has some minor arthritis and he is taking medicine for it now and we stopped giving him some treats the smelled like chemicals...He's acting like a new born puppy now! Thanks for all of your input!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts