Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been years since I competed in Obedience, have been doing Agility instead. I have looked at the rule book for CKC and cannot find the answer. On the recall does it matter what word you use not just COME. For some reason my dog who has a perfect come everywhere else, when it comes to an Obedience class, when I say come, she comes like she is in trouble even though I have never done any corrections or anything that she should be afraid off. I use a flat collar and lots of treats and she is a happy dog except on the Come. I thought maybe if I restarted using a different word it would help.

· Registered
1,248 Posts
What about a hand signal instead? Since she was doing agility, she is already cueing on your body language. I have a friend who competes in high level AKC obedience and only uses hand signals. I would think that CKC would be similar.
From the CKC rules book
No dog shall qualify that fails to stay where it is left until called, receives an additional command or signal to stay after the handler leaves, fails to come on the first command or signal or does not come close enough for the handler to clip the leash on without excessive stretching or bending or moving either foot.
Are you thinking of doing Rally Obedience also?

· Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Much prefer Rally but unfortunately none available in our area. Our Agility has been shut right down the last two years, no trials. We used to travel to lots of trials before Covid. Hopefully things will start to get back to more normal now that they have removed having to wear masks all the time as of last week.

· Registered
187 Posts
What exactly does the CKC rulebook say about recall? I've always used "Front" as the command in AKC, and I know other people use all sorts of commands. So long as you use "Dog'sName Command," you're fine. You could always call CKC and ask.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.