Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 11 week old puppy and am looking into puppy obedience classes but I'm not sure if there's any in my area. I might have to drive an hour or more to take him. Is it worth it or can I get by training and socializing him myself? Any tips to make sure it's done thoroughly?

Pros to obedience classes? Any cons?

If I am able to enroll him when do you think is the best age?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It was totally worth it for us, we found out that Echo is confident with people but not dogs and our trainer helped us build her confidence through supervised play with puppies about a third of her size. She'd run away from puppies her size. She's our fist puppy so it's also been really useful for us to learn how to train her well, I just didn't get what I needed from reading or videos.

·
Registered
339 Posts
We didn't take our first dog (now 5) to any classes and I really, really wish we had. She loves dogs and people but it's taken some work to be able to stand calmly near others without being over exuberant.

We've already been training and socializing our new pup but we will still go to puppy class in a few weeks.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's totally worth it!!!! I didn't take my first dog (now 12) and I totally regretted it. I didn't have a car at that time when he was a puppy so I figured I could just train him myself.

I'm so glad I put my pitbull pup into obedience classes, it's a great way to socialize her with people and other puppies/dogs and the trainer gives me a lot of insight and tips on training that I might not have thought of or read up on myself.

Your pup will also learn how to focus on you when you take obedience classes because there's so much going on around them.

Usually most obdiences classes require that your pup have at least their 2nd set of shots before they can take a puppy class.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks for your replies, I'm hoping we can figure something out since he is kind of weary of meeting new people (is that normal at this age?) and I don't have any other dogs of my own for him to be around.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would try slow introductions, I took my pup (I got her at 8 weeks) around with me to run certain errands so she could get exposed to different kinds of faces, sounds, environments etc.

He will eventually gain his confidence. Mia was very shy at 8-12 weeks, she wouldn't automatically run up to strangers and ask for attention. She would cower a little bit, stay close to the ground and slowly approach someone. Her tail would still be wagging and I could tell she wanted to say hi so badly but she was very shy and cautious. Sometimes she would give a little bark and then run back and hide behind me. Eventually she came out of her shell, I just continued to do gradual introductions, 1-2 ppl at at time and now (4.5 months) she will try and run up to EVERYONE that walks by!!! She wants to say hi to everyone!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.