Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We adopted Bentley about a month ago. He had a bad history of crating with his previous family, so we didn't start crate training right away. We gated off the dining room for the first few weeks. We had accidents (pee) most days, even if we came home at lunchtime. He was also very anxious and howled.

We started crate training and at first he was great! He was so much more calm, slept most of the day, and was a lot less anxious. (We have a video cam set up so we can see how he's doing during the day.) This week however, he's anxious again. He's circling, howling, and was very grumpy over the weekend even when we're home. He's refusing to go on walks (even though we can tell he has a lot of energy), is generally skittish, and won't come when he's called.

We try to lure him on walks with treats, but he just doesn't care. We give him bones he likes, plus one or two toys that we rotate out to put in his crate. We've been following all of the "Respect" series that Creative Dog Training recommends, but nothing is working. Any help or ideas are very appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
I've listened to the Podcast you've linked, and I'm not a huge fan of what I'm hearing. Any trainer that is suggesting using "respect" as a training method is not someone I'm interested in hearing from. Dogs don't feel "respect", nor is your dog say jumping up on the leash, a sign of disrespect.
What is his history with walking with his previous family? If he's that skittish, I'm wondering what kind of experiences he's had in his past.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Welcome to DF!

Have you looked into Crate Games? They're a ton of fun and really helped with my girl. Is the crate open and accessible at all times? It's important that your pup doesn't feel like crate = punishment. Do you give him any toys in there?

What breed is he?

You've come to a good place for advice. DF has many knowledgeable members! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts