Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a VERY itchy dog and read if we use baby oatmeal for an oatmeal bath it will give her relief. Just wondering - if we bathe her in that, do we rinse her off with plain water?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If your dog has grain allergies causing the itching DO NOT use oatmeal or oatmeal shampoo!
If your dog's skin is red and irritated a good antibacterial antifungal shampoo with miconazole and chlorhexidine in it would help tremendously!
I used Malaseb Shampoo on my allergic Cairn Terriers ...worked great!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your dog has grain allergies causing the itching DO NOT use oatmeal or oatmeal shampoo!
If your dog's skin is red and irritated a good antibacterial antifungal shampoo with miconazole and chlorhexidine in it would help tremendously!
I used Malaseb Shampoo on my allergic Cairn Terriers ...worked great!

Her skin isn't red and doesn't look irritated. We tried her on a grain-free dog food, we tried honey, coconut oil, Benadryl, bathing in an over-the-counter oatmeal shampoo. Yet she still constantly scratches. She has to be miserable so I thought I'd try a homemade oatmeal bath. Right now we have her on a Sensitive Skin & Stomach food, but that's not helping either.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Have you checked her over real closely for fleas? Is her skin dry or flaky?
If its dry and flaky, I might recommend giving her some liquid Omega 3 supplements. They make liquid especially for dogs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.