Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Oakley is learning to safely navigate the woodpile from the best teacher a pup can have!

View attachment 250880
That is so cool!
I bet that Oakley has already forgotten his previous home. After all, your home is way more fun than being the only dog in a family.
A dog needs to be a dog, and have doggie as well as human interaction ! (y)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Oakley is settling down, becoming a little more at ease, more settled, each day.

I agree, most dogs do enjoy the company of their own kind and still form a wonderful bond with their human friends as well.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
While it might be nice if life was all fun and games....

sometimes there is 'work' to do. Like finding the mat from across the room, settling there, and waiting patiently for Mom to say 'All done'!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Today started off pretty warm, so what better thing to do than to play in the shade...

or perhaps, some 'bitey-face' in 'the pit'.

Time for a bath...maybe??

First bath... just a trial run to see how he would react. At first it was NO!! but a few high value treats (freeze dried liver treats), then it was 'Okay!'.
(All clean, for a few minutes!!)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Reading the body language of a tailless dog has been interesting skill for me to learn. I had grown accustomed to reading the emotional state of a dog based in part by their tail position, Oakley has a bit of a tail, but not much, so is at a bit of a disadvantage for me (and other dogs) to read him. So I am learning to watch more closely and pick out his other signals,- ear position, tension in his body, face, mouth or lowering of the body, (hind end - ready to run) or standing taller on his toes, on the alert, (ears up, looking around) hackles raised (often accompanied by a low growl or barking). And of course, the good stuff, the relaxed face and posture, the loose wiggly all over greetings, the tail wags (if I watch closely for it), curiosity, 'questioning' whether something is 'safe' or not.

It was interesting to read this on a site, I was looking at, something that I hadn't yet considered...

"Dogs without tails communicate, but they have limitations. They may approach other dogs or people cautiously to avoid miscommunication. They depend on other aspects of body language such as ear position, facial expression, and stance to communicate their intentions."

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It has been three weeks since Oakley arrived, needless to say he has fit right in, and Cache is thoroughly enjoying having a buddy who likes to play just as much as him.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
He is truly a joy, a perfect fit! He is truly a fun dog, with a wonderful and gentle temperament, a true gift! Loves to play, (and learn), of course, settles nicely when I need him to, and has brought a ton of 'sunshine' into my life.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
What do you do for their teeth? They are both so white!
So far I haven't done anything special, not sure if diet has an impact, but Cache has always been on a grain-free food and Oakley loves to chew, so he pretty much keeps them clean himself.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts