Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oakley stole my heart last week, a 6 month old, border collie/Australian Shepherd mix puppy in need of a new home. His family loved him dearly, loved him enough to understand that their home was not the best home for him.

I had been looking for a pup to help sooth the ache in my heart, after losing my two senior best friends last year, I needed another to love. I had searched for a long time, for one who 'spoke' to my heart, and when I saw his picture, I just knew he was 'meant to be' with me.

Settling in to a new home, was hard for him initially, but it didn't take long before he began to fit right in. We are still adjusting to the change in all of our lives, and getting to know each other, I know in my heart he is truly a gift of immense proportions and look forward to our journey as we travel through life.

We have a digging pit under our picnic table, didn't take him long to discover it, the joy of spreading dirt in every direction and coolness it provides when he needs a break on a hot day.

And of course, what could be better than a romp with his big brother, Cache!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We were out for a walk yesterday, naturally he was a bit anxious, but was doing wonderfully, having a good time checking things out! That was until he heard the garbage truck, it terrified him, he panicked and tried to run from the noise. Poor little guy couldn't get home fast enough!

Reactions: Buzzu2

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"I really love your digging pit under the table, fab idea!"

'The pit' was started years ago by my fearful rescue pup, Charlie - digging there was his ultimate joy!! After he crossed the Rainbow Bridge and Cache came along, he carried on the digging , and now with Cache and Oakley having a grand time under there, the pit is getting just a little bigger and a little deeper - had to shore up the picnic table so it doesn't fall in - I do have to wonder where the dirt goes!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He is very smart! Putting an Aussie together with a BC, is gonna be A LOT OF "FUN"! ;)
No doubt!! I expect a bit of a 'challenge' but open to the possibilities that he will teach me as much as I teach him!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think it gets much better than being greeted with a full body wiggle butt in the morning!
While still on the path of discovering who Oakley is, there is no doubt he loves, loves to learn and to play. Yesterday he discovered the joys of the plastic coffee can!! (his big brother's favorite toy) - you can chew it, throw it, herd it, and play fetch!! Oh wow, what fun!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For a puppy, one of the best teachers of dog social skills is an adult dog who has those skills. Oakley unfortunately didn't have an adult dog to learn from, so Cache is helping him learn to be polite, to 'speak dog'.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While still in the 'getting to know him' stage, this is what I have learned about Oakley, about 'who' he is, so far!
He is truly a sweetheart, lots of fun, and yet can be calm as well.
Is housetrained, crate trained, sleeps through the night - yeah!!

Loves his walks - does a happy dance when I get his harness out.
Does wonderfully on car rides, (just a short trip) he looked out the window for a bit, then laid down.
Loves to supervise in the kitchen.
Is totally comfortable with handling - ears, paws, mouth, his stubby tail, belly rubs, (sometimes, haven't found any areas he is sensitive about).
Is gentle with his mouth, tends to mouth a bit when he is excited, but he is careful about it.
Loves to play fetch, chew toys, hasn't chewed anything inappropriate.

A few things to work with him on , eye contact, leash skills - he is curious boy!, and couple of things that are going to take some help and time - fear of strange people and new dogs, though he has gotten a little better already!

But, understandably, he is still adjusting, his world has been turned upside down, so can't blame him for being upset by some things.
Over all, he is truly a wonderful pup!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In the morning I give Oakley a frozen Kong to work on, keeps him busy (and allows me time for my coffee) and starts the day on a calm note! This morning he decided to 'get comfy' and took his Kong and got up on the couch to work on it there. He has figured out that if he can't get the stuffing out, dropping it on the floor sometimes helps, or he will come and 'ask' for help.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts