Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty new to the forums and I have been lurking a lot. I have learned a lot here and I haven't had a reason to post until now! First off a little back ground. I have two dogs Oppenheimer a lab/pit/hound? mix who is a year and three months I have had him since he was a pup I got from a yard sale on the side of the road, he was only six weeks old and not properly socialized but I couldn't leave him there I would have taken them all if I could. He is super full of energy and has absolutely no aggression at all even towards cats and rabbits he is very loving and very bonded to me and fairly bonded to my husband. I got him fixed as soon as we noticed he was "becoming a man" so to speak. This past few months he has been alone more than usual so I decided to get him a playmate. I only get rescues so I started trolling craigslist and found a puppy who had been rescued off the side of a busy rural highway. I named her Hiko, the people I got her from told me she is a Eskimo American Bulldog mix. I find that laughable. She is thin and long legged with a long kind of thin snout white with black spots and half pricked ears. I think she was born in December, she still has puppy teeth but is starting to lose them. She has not been fixed yet, that is coming in June. We do positive reinforcement mostly food based training. Oppenheimer knows all the basic commands and some special ones like jump over and sit and wait while I leave the room. his only "behavioural problem" is jumping on visitors. Hiko knows most of the basics and learns quickly.

Down to the question finally! Last night a friend of ours who comes over fairly regularly whom Oppenheimer is always super happy to see came for dinner. She had meet Hiko briefly but hadn't come over to hang out since I had gotten her. She got her usual treatment, Oppenheimer jumped on her a few times and settled down. Then he went into his look what I can do/ show off mode and started playing with Hiko. Then all of a sudden for the first time in his entire life he started humping her! He has never humped anything even before he was fixed. Not the cats, not the rabbits, not dogs at the dog park, not stuffed animals, not us, nothing, ever! He did it a few times. I gave him the off/stop command and redirected by bringing out the special toys I use for distraction when I am busy and he would stop for a while and start up again. I gave him the off then leave it command and same thing he would be good for a while and then start up again. I never scolded him or raised my voice I don't believe in that. I did laugh a little because it is rather comical to see a 77 pound dog hump a 17 pound puppy! So my question is why is he doing this? should I just ignore it? crate him? Redirect?

Also Hiko my female pup humps Oppenheimer during play. He never seems to mind or notice. Should I pay attention to this or is it just a sensation/instinct type thing? Why are they doing it and why would he start all of a sudden without ever doing it before?

Sorry for the long post I wanted to give you guys some background so you wouldn't have to ask the obvious.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like he got overly excited by company being over, and he's getting to the age where some dogs will start that type of behavior even if they hadn't in the past.

I'd redirect and if he still kept it up like he did with you I'd take him from the room to give him a chance to calm down before letting him back in.

Don't let the pup hump either. It's bad dog manners and could get her into trouble with other dogs, some dogs will tolerate it, but others will resent it and may do so in an aggressive manner.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum,

you might find this video helpful

Reactions: twodogpack

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the video and the concept of staying but do you think it would be possible to teach him not to jump but its ok to bark? I have a high level of anxiety and when I am home alone I like someone on the other side of the door to think I have a big protective dog. My dog is big but not protective he is a love muffin and as soon as he sees people he always loves them but he has a big rough intimidating bark and I have always loved that about him. Also I like the bark for when I am not at home. I just don't want the jumping. Thank you guys so much for your help! :D

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Have you checked out KikoPup's Youtube channel? Here's a jumping vid:

Kudos for rescuing your adorable kiddos! And you sound like an awesome dog-momma, keep up the good work. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool video! I love Kikopup's vids but I hadn't seen that one yet. I have to confess when I first got Oppenheimer I didn't train him as much as I should. he was an only dog and was my trail buddy. We didn't go out much and lived far out so we didn't have a lot of people coming over. We moved and now I live closer to friends and family and it is like I finally woke up to the fact that this was not ok and needed to be addressed. I have trained him to do tricks and come when called, for mental stimulation and safety but I wasn't thinking about my house guest's safety! He is very eager to please so if I stick to the above video it shouldn't take no time at all.

Thank you for the compliment! *blushing* I try as hard as I can but dog trainers and such are out of my money means. So I lurk and learn here and youtube! And I mess up and I learn from it, and my dogs teach me how to be a good pet parent half the time! ;)

Reactions: Megs87
1 - 6 of 6 Posts