Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New from The Science Dog (aka Linda Case): How Many Barks does a Nuisance Dog Make?

Case's take away:
It is my contention that dogs and their people are much better served if we stop using anthropocentric classifications for problem behaviors that label dogs as nuisances. Rather, as this study corroborates, dogs bark for reasons and often these reasons are something that we can remove, modify or manage. If we begin the discussion with “I have a nuisance dog who barks too much” we have all the further to go towards changing perspective and identifying the cause so that we can start helping both the dog and the owner.

Because dogs bark. And some dogs bark a lot. Maybe too much. (Just like people talk and some people certainly talk too much…..[you know these people, the nuisance talkers]. For those people in your life, you are on your own). For the dogs, I am with all of the trainers out there who start by finding out why the dog is barking, eliminating or modifying that cause, adding in a bit of training, exercising, and playing[.]

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It's sad that the concept of considering why dogs bark and addressing that seems so revolutionary.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts