Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was walking my 2 year old rescue Border collie down a forest path. It's quite secluded so I let him of leash so he could have a good sniff at the surroundings. Oh he got a very good sniff indeed...

I saw him sniff some long grass and thought nothing off it until he plopped his head on the ground and smeared his face into what turned out to be poop.
I got him to stop once I realized what he was doing but I was too late to return home with a non stinky dog. In the end I'm glad he was right beside me and not a long way off.

Now I know it's something dogs just, do..
It's hard to find any solid info on this.

Why do they do it? Is it because he had a bath the day before and wanted to get that 'au naturel' smell back, is he communicating something or is it something completely different?
It's hard to find solid info on this.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I can't help with the 'why' but my 3 JRTs all used to roll in anything, the smellier the better - fox poo and dead hedgehog being the most irresistible! One thing I'll say, I definitely prefer that to eating it, which is what my new pup wants to do.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Dead Worms. Roxie likes to find dead worms and roll on them. It is horrible.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Dead Worms. Roxie likes to find dead worms and roll on them. It is horrible.
Mia does that too! She'll ignore all the usual things like dead mice, horse poop, garbage, etc that I would expect a dog to roll in. And then I'll see her rolling around in the grass and vigorously sniffing something, and I'll look to see what it is, and it's a crispy, sun burnt worm! So weird. Not that I'm complaining, I'd rather her roll on a worm than in poop.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I saw him sniff some long grass and thought nothing off it until he plopped his head on the ground and smeared his face into what turned out to be poop.
So sorry, but I just kicked off laughing at the way you describe this!
Mine haven't rolled in poop yet, but they do find interesting scents to roll in - worms and slugs sometimes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My dog rolls on dead animals. She has rolled her face/neck on a dead duck, a dead seagull, and a dead frog. :ponder: And in fox poo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.