Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two Dogo Argentinos, both love other dogs but behave well on leash (with some minor whimpering when we pass other dogs). The problem is they really, really crave playing with other dogs but they play rough which most dogs either don't tolerate, ie. Start growling in or get scared and run away. How do I get them play time?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they play with each other?
Yes, a lot, but They will try to engage anything on four legs as well. I just feel sad that they rarely get a change to play with anyone else. The'll even lie down for chivavas, poor things. Chivvavas, of course hightail it out of reach in no time.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I would avoid dogs as small as Chihuahuas. Dog is are powerful hunting dogs that can take down board and mountain lions, so it wouldn't take much for them to kill a tiny dog. Even in play large dog can seriously hurt them. Chihushuas also have a tendency to screech, which can set off predatory drift in dogs. (Basically that's a switch that goes off and says 'attack the small animal!') Not to mention two of them can mean they'd have more of a pack mentality. I would say find them playmates who are around the same size, larger or no smaller than 20/25 lbs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.